Can a Navy man or woman help me with this please?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Awkward conversation for me, but I had to have a talk with my elderly father this morning about whether he wanted to be buried in a navy uniform or not. He was career Navy; a submariner in WWII.

All his uniforms were lost years ago. I thought WWIII was going to start the day dad found out that mom had given his pea coat away.
hide.gif

At any rate, Dad said he would like to be buried in uniform; what he called his "summer whites". DH and I have located a good source for the uniforms and I plan to order them this weekend. Problem is, I also want to order the appropriate patches to go on the uniform (there's a seamstress in town that does all the PD's uniforms and I can have her do this uniform), but I don't know which patches are appropriate. Which sleeve patch would be appropriate - Dad retired as a chief petty officer:

http://sailor-uniform.com/patch.htm

Also, how do the hash marks work in the Navy? How many years does one hash mark represent?
TIA
smile.png

Side note: When Dad said summer whites I questioned him, thinking he'd prefer dress blues. His response to me was "Kat! It's hot in Florida. If you bury me in dress blues I'll burn up!"
gig.gif

I have no idea about the uniform, but I can certainly see where your sense of humor came from!
lol.png

Quote:
Yes, my dad is most definitely a hoot Horsey!
hugs.gif
back

Now back to finding out which ribbons he still has and which are missing. So far I've only found one - a WWII Victory ribbon.
idunno.gif

Call the nearest naval base and ask them to transfer you to Clothing Sales. That is where one purchases uniforms. Explain what you want and ask them about acquiring the appropriate patches. They will have current uniform regulations, which is what I would assume your father would want. You do not necessarily need to purchase from them (you probably cannot, although if your father is retired, HE can), but you will get the latest, greatest information.

Hope it's a long time before the uniform is needed
smile.png

I do believe you can also find out what his career awards are as well by calling or going to a Naval Base. You will need his ID and proof of your relationship to him.

I remember being a Navy brat and when I needed help the officers in the offices would point me in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom