Can a roster help take care of a chick ?????

Nightfeather

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 1, 2012
Clinton, Utah
I have heard of stories of when a roster helps take care of the chick and some people say that a roster will kill a chick even when the mother is by it?
I was wondering with is true?

I have heard of stories of when a roster helps take care of the chick and some people say that a roster will kill a chick even when the mother is by it?
I was wondering with is true?

Our silkie roo, Joe, loves the chicks and teaches them and at night when I had the the babies in a open dog crate, every night I found him with all the chicks around him. We have things set up differently now, but I would suggest having the mom and babies in a pen next to the main coop and then after a week or so, give the mom and babies access to the main area where the flock is. Be sure you let them intigrate themselves, but try to be there the first couple days to make sure things are going ok. I think the roo just likes having his hen back. Also the chicks were older, 6 weeks old or so.

I think it depends on the breed of chicken too, some are more agressive then others, we have just silkies and orpingtons.

Last edited:
Roos can be mean to the chicks.

smack.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom