Can adult chickens eat chick food?

I agree with the non med starter feed for the egg layers anyway. I believe egg maker has the protein and calcium needed. If using just starter to use up the bag for no waste purposes, add ground oyster shell (to their diet) To bring up the calcium content needed because egg production drains the hen's body of that. Soft shells eminent if they get a low calcium level. I have seen shells like lunch baggies soft before.

EDITED THIS REPLY TO PREVENT IT BEING MISUNDERSTOOD FROM "LACK OF DETAIL" OF HOW WE USE THE SUPPLEMENT.

Last edited:
oyster shell and grit should be in separate containers, not mixed.
Its not the whole bag. Just like a thin layer so it is consumed in moderation. Never mentioned the mixed ratio was as well.
Not saying who is right or wrong. The miniscule amount can't be considered a meal regard less of fact or opinion.
Thanks for your advice.

I need your help.
My hen just has 2 chicks and I separate from the other Hens, when will be good time to separate from mama . I am afraid that she is eating the medicated chicks food.
Thank You all.
Unless you want to raise the chicks separately till they're the same size as the hens, I would put the hen and chicks with the flock and switch them all to a grower or all flock feed. The reason is that the hen will protect the chicks from the other flock members when they are small. By the time the hen is finished raising them, they are seen as flock members.
If you keep them separated, you will have to go through the headache of introducing 2 outsiders to an established flock.
Recommendation is to offer oyster shell on the side, not put it into the feed.
X2
oyster shell and grit should be in separate containers, not mixed.
X2

I use 1 pint plastic cage cups for both or the grit can be scattered on the ground in a bare area where the chickens can find it.

So what about the other way around? I have 8 week olds out in the coop with the others. I give feather fixer to everyone and when the chicks went to the coop put out chick starter grower. Of course everyone ate the chick food and now it's gone.
My question is should I buy another bag of the starter grower? Or will the chicks be ok switched over to the feather fixer now?

So what about the other way around? I have 8 week olds out in the coop with the others. I give feather fixer to everyone and when the chicks went to the coop put out chick starter grower. Of course everyone ate the chick food and now it's gone.
My question is should I buy another bag of the starter grower? Or will the chicks be ok switched over to the feather fixer now?
I'm looking at the tag for Feather Fixer. Tag says feed to chickens and roosters over 16 weeks of age. It contains 3.25 to 3.75% calcium. Way to much for 8 week olds. Buy the Starter- Grower, and offer Oyster Shell in a separate container. GC

Back
Top Bottom