9 Years
Jul 25, 2013
Kaministquia, Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
Here are my three guineas
I'm thinking one male and two females am I right
FB_IMG_1508328981415.jpg

Well, it's not for sure for sure, but I think the one in the middle is a boy because the wattles and the comb is a bit longer than the other two's and the other one's are probably girls.

But here is something I do just to make sure (sometimes it doesn't work but most of the time it does)

It's something Cubans do XD

So you know how when a rooster mates with a hen, he jumps on the hen and then when the rooster gets off, the hen shakes? Well, put your hand on one of their backs and push them down (don't push them down too hard because who knows if it may hurt them). It's kind of hard to explain how, but if you get the idea then do it. If it shakes a few seconds later, it's a girl, if it doesn't, it's a boy. Again, it may not work but it works most of the time.

Here are my three guineas
I'm thinking one male and two females am I rightView attachment 1163214
You may be correct but in my experience the only positive way to tell a hen is when she lays an egg. The second positive method is if she "buckwheats". It really isn't possible to accurately sex guineas from photos.

I have personally had male guineas that had wattles that were the same as the wattles the hen's had. Their behavior and failure to "buckwheat" gave them away and was confirmed by the presence of testicles when I dressed them out.

I have also seen photos of guinea hens with the big cupped wattles expected on males that the owners claimed to be hens due to the fact they were laying eggs. At least one of those posters is a well respected long time guinea owner.

Separate them so they cannot see each other and the girls should start "buckwheating" very soon.

So as mentioned, in general larger waddles can indicate a male, but not necessarily. The way to tell is by their sounds. The female makes the "buckwheat buckwheat buckwheat" sound. The males make more of a loud chattered squawking call. That is the real way to tell. You should definitely be able to tell the difference once you start listening. Good luck!

I have a funny feeling I agree with the hens and the male, and I also agree waiting for an egg(s) will do the best you can. :) Nice looking birds by the way!

When I was researching this issue I found a thread on BYC that said when you look at the guinea (eyeball to eyeball) the female will turn her head and look at you. The male will look straight at you. And the buckwheat chatter for the female. I found it to be true with my 10 original guineas. I thought I would share. :yesss::yesss:

Back
Top Bottom