Can anyone tell me about this food (picture)

MaLoTu

Chirping
Mar 28, 2015
I bough this at our local feed store. It is pellets. I don't know if it is formulated for layers or just an all purpose flock food. Also, is it medicated? My birds are 3.5-4 months old and not laying yet.

It depends on what is on the Ingredients Listing (located on the Feed Label/ aka the tag hanging off the bottom of the bag). Laying feeds include more calcium then normal flock feed due to the fact they use more for creating eggshells. Medicated feeds will always say they are medicated on the Feed Label. I don't think you'll need layer feed until 20-25 weeks when pullets usually start laying.

It is layer feed. It doesn't say medicated though.

I have been giving them medicated crumbles. Is there anything I need to do now to keep them from getting coccydia?

It is layer feed. It doesn't say medicated though.

I have been giving them medicated crumbles. Is there anything I need to do now to keep them from getting coccydia?

Younger chicks/chickens are much more susceptible to the disease that older birds (yours are older). I fed my birds medicated feed for the first 15 weeks and switched to a non-medicated feed. I think your birds will be fine w/o the medicated feeds.

Just to be extra safe read about the disease and how to further avoid it here:https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it

Back
Top Bottom