Anyone else have picky eaters?

Pics

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
I don't understand how an animal with a handful of tastebuds can be so selective when it comes to chicken food. There's no rhyme or reason to it either, especially with 95% of commercial feed ingredients starting with "corn, soy, wheat, etc."

My girls enjoy Nutrena Chick Crumble and All-Flock Pellets, but REFUSE the Layer Crumble. Dumor Organic Layer, which I imagine can only be organic food waste, is their absolute favorite. Kalmbach Organic, despite smelling fresh and delicious, must be figurative poison after their 24-hour hunger strike.

Please tell me I'm not the only one. What commercial foods do your girls like? Any insight into their chicken psyche?

I don't understand how an animal with a handful of tastebuds can be so selective when it comes to chicken food. There's no rhyme or reason to it either, especially with 95% of commercial feed ingredients starting with "corn, soy, wheat, etc."

My girls enjoy Nutrena Chick Crumble and All-Flock Pellets, but REFUSE the Layer Crumble. Dumor Organic Layer, which I imagine can only be organic food waste, is their absolute favorite. Kalmbach Organic, despite smelling fresh and delicious, must be figurative poison after their 24-hour hunger strike.

Please tell me I'm not the only one. What commercial foods do your girls like? Any insight into their chicken psyche?
Mine will just eat anything I get from tractor supply- except the layer feed. I get flock feed for them
They also loooove scratch, but only if it has corn.

So yeah, a bit picky!

I feed my ladies Kalmbach flock maker pellets, and they have zero issues gobbling it up. I'd suggest picking a feed that is nutritionally sound and sticking with it. Maybe make a mash out of it the first couple of days (my ladies think they are getting served fillet mignon when I make mash :lau ) they will eventually eat it. I will say when I first switched to pellets, my older gals gave me the stink eye, but came around.

Mine will not touch any veggies. They will stick there nose up at it and tell me that he has to be cooked - they don't like it raw!! 😂😛
Chickens against nutrition! Do they need a little butter on it too? 😝

If I dare to chop the veggies or present them in a dish, they're ruined. Veggies must be offered in their full form, trapped in a suspended cage, only to be slowly pecked to death by my little sickos. It must be cathartic or something.

Maybe make a mash out of it the first couple of days (my ladies think they are getting served fillet mignon when I make mash :lau ) they will eventually eat it.
Good point! Mine go bonkers for hot mash. Our TSC finally restocked their beloved Dumor, but next time I need them to pivot I'm trying the mash trick!

IMG_6097.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom