Can anyone tell me if this is a duckling or gosling....and what type

Amberly98

Songster
7 Years
Oct 14, 2015
Orangrvale, CA
My kids found this little one under our truck in our driveway. I originally thought it was a duck, but now I am starting to wonder if it is a goose (specifically a Canadian goose). We live in a pretty urban environment and we never see ducks or geese in our yard or neighborhood....so this one has me stumped. We looked all over in bushes and went door to door to see if anyone had seen it's family or was missing a little one....but nothing found. So, we are raising it currently with Bantam chicks. It is about the same size as our 4 week old bantams. It is very needy, hates to be in the brooding box, but loves to be held. It has not be afraid from the moment we found it (which is why we were thinking it was a pet). Anywho, I can keep it, but I don't want to get in trouble with the law if it is a Canadian goose (I live in CA). For now we are raising it as we do our chickens, but it is getting water fowl started feed (not the medicated like our chicks).
20180514_162201_1526340141704.jpeg
20180515_074733_1526395708725.jpeg

I THINK it is a gosling, but not a Canada. I really like the picture with your son. Hopefully someone will be more helpful than me.

That is definitely a Canada gosling. You can tell by the distinct curve on the sides of beak.

Back
Top Bottom