Can anyone tell me the gender of my 4 week old peafowl?

jlawton

Hatching
Sep 11, 2015

At 4 weeks it is too young to say for sure. Once your peachick loses its soft fluff feathers on the neck and chest it will start getting more apparent what gender it is.

You can always DNA sex your peachick if you want to know sooner.

I was just wondering if anyone had any opinion on what it looked like it could be?

I was just wondering if anyone had any opinion on what it looked like it could be?
Thanks
smile.png
If your wanting a guess that could possibly be accurate but slim compared to an older chick it looks like a hen based on the second photo I see brown on both secondary and primary wing feathers. I don't mean to argue but that chick looks younger than 4 weeks old. I'm thinking around 2 weeks old.
2 week old Indian Blue peachicks.

3 week old peachicks. Male in front, female in back. Females barring fades out and the wing becomes a solid brown. Males have barring on shoulder and rust colored primaries. Eventually male will get black in between barring and rust colored feathers. Also males will have a blue neck around 10 weeks old if they are Indian Blue.
10 week old Indian Blue cock.

Hi,
Thanks for the info.
Maybe it was how it's standing in the picture that makes it look smaller. But, we've had this peachick since it hatched and is definitely been 4 weeks as of today.
It's our first time having one and it really doesn't matter to us the whether it's male or female. I was just curious. Guess we'll wait and see.
I appreciate your opinion. Thanks for the reply :)

Hi,
Thanks for the info.
Maybe it was how it's standing in the picture that makes it look smaller. But, we've had this peachick since it hatched and is definitely been 4 weeks as of today.
It's our first time having one and it really doesn't matter to us the whether it's male or female. I was just curious. Guess we'll wait and see.
I appreciate your opinion. Thanks for the reply
smile.png
I was judging based off feathers. Usually crest feathers are coming in and the wings are covered in feathers around three weeks and the neck is feathered in around 4 weeks or at least with my IB chicks which is what I was comparing them to. It looks like a female in the second picture to me.

Thanks. Yes the crest feathers are starting to come in. It's actually getting new feathers in all over it. It thinks my Daughter is its mom and went let her out of its sight without screaming. Kind of cute but also a bit annoying. Kind of like having a real baby!

Thanks. Yes the crest feathers are starting to come in. It's actually getting new feathers in all over it. It thinks my Daughter is its mom and went let her out of its sight without screaming. Kind of cute but also a bit annoying. Kind of like having a real baby!

With peachicks they imprint on whoever stays around them most. Peafowl are social creatures and want at least one friend. If they don't have some sort of friend the calling begins no matter what the sex is.

Would it help if we got another peachick for it? We tried getting a couple of baby chicken chicks but it doesn't care about them at all

Back
Top Bottom