can chickens eat calf manna?

onthespot

Deluxe Dozens
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Riverside/Norco, CA
I got a bag for someone, who changed their mind when they saw it. They were thinking of something else. i don't want to feed it to my filly, was wondering if there was anything in there not good for chickens....

Ingredients: Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles, Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Vegetable Oil, Dried Whey, Yeast Culture, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganous Oxide, Manganese Amino Acide Chelate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Ascorbic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Propionate (a preservative).

I have read elsewhere on BYC that too much iron (ferrous this and that) is bad, to get the polyvisol without iron.
Knowing my greedy birds, the question is not can they eat it, but Should they eat it.
Waiting for someone who knows more...

hmmmm... maybe i should be eating it myslef!
lol.png
There's a lot of vitamins and minerals in there!

Chickens can eat it, definitely. A little goes a long way. Don't overfeed it, don't give them more calf manna, say, than 5-10% of their daily feed ration. I learned by experience they can only handle a small amount and only once in a while. I've read some people here on BYC mix it in with feed in the feeder for a temporary protein boost, at a small percent of total feed. It's a good protein supplement, especially during winter to keep eggs coming and also for molters who need protein to refeather themselves.

I also have a small amount in with my mealworms.

Quote:
Something isn't right there...
Are you sure that is Calf Manna that you got and not Manna Pro? Is it a pink pellet?
Here is what the Ingredient list should look like if it is Calf Manna-

Soybean meal, corn, hominy feed, feeding oatmeal, dried whey, dehydrated alfalfa meal, linseed meal, brewer’s dried yeast, vegetable oil, fenugreek seed, anise oil, calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, salt, sulfur, iron oxide, ferrous carbonate, ferrous sulfate, copper oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate, calcium iodate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, thiamine mononitrate, niacin supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, biotin.
http://www.mannapro.com/calf-mannaTD.htm

Chris

I have fed Calf Manna to my chickens as a treat but do not use it everyday. A small fistful every other day or three days apart. That stuff is like candy to them, worse than scratch!

I got two chicks from someone who fed that to them - and they were the scrawniest (sp?) looking chicks I ever had. Smelly, runny poop, they never really got all that big.
I mean, that's all they fed them from birth right on up

Back
Top Bottom