Can chickens eat this?

jayjaymozza

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2015
Hi, I'm just wondering if my chickens can eat/live on this?

This is the only feed I can find that's close to chicken feed.

Thanks

Last edited:
Wild bird feed is a fine snack for chickens, they'll love it. But they cannot live on it 24/7 - their nutritional requirements cannot be met by these kinds of seeds and treats alone. They need a complete layer or mixed flock ration, or another feed designed for chickens of whatever their particular life stage is.

It's true, for optimum laying, you need all that....but if you're okay with a pet who lays an egg every so often, sure, they can survive on bird feed, dog food, table scraps, bugs....my Mom never buys "chicken feed"....it all depends on what you want and what is available to you....my girls would eat pasta every day....if I cooked it for them...
big_smile.png

Google 'chicken feed locator' and find the nearest dealer of Purina, Nutrena, or something, or then check Amazon, although shipping will be expensive, most likely. Don't plan to store more than about sixty days (or less) of feed, because the vitamins deteriorate. Mary

It's true, for optimum laying, you need all that....but if you're okay with a pet who lays an egg every so often, sure, they can survive on bird feed, dog food, table scraps, bugs....my Mom never buys "chicken feed"....it all depends on what you want and what is available to you....my girls would eat pasta every day....if I cooked it for them...
big_smile.png

There is a wide gap between what a bird might survive on and what they thrive on. There is more to it that just production levels, the overall health and well-being of the bird is important whether one wants eggs or not. The goal of any person taking the responsibility for an animal should be to provide what that animal needs to thrive. With the wide and ready availability of appropriate poultry feed there is no reason not to provide it.

There is a wide gap between what a bird might survive on and what they thrive on. There is more to it that just production levels, the overall health and well-being of the bird is important whether one wants eggs or not. The goal of any person taking the responsibility for an animal should be to provide what that animal needs to thrive. With the wide and ready availability of appropriate poultry feed there is no reason not to provide it.
I agree.

Back
Top Bottom