Can chicks drink cold water?

Jun 12, 2022
Southern California Mountains
I can’t seem to find anything about this subject so I thought I’d ask here! I’m letting a broody hatch some chicks for the first time and she’ll be raising them outside in a separate area but still with the flock. I usually have her water in a waterer for her and it’s typically ice cold for half the day because nights get to 32-35 degrees while days are 60+ in spring here. I’ve always seen that brooder chicks should not be given very cold water as that can chill them, so I’ve always given them room temp water, but what about chicks raised by a broody like this? Is the cold water fine or do I have to change the water every morning so it’s not very cold from the night before? I mean chicks have been raised by broody hens outdoors for a long time and I’m assuming the owners didn’t fuss over giving them warm water every morning, but I thought I’d ask here just to be sure 🤷🏼‍♀️ Thanks!

Always gave my chicks cold water been raising chicks for over 25 years never had any problems. Be careful what you read and see on the internet they over think the simple things.

I’ve always seen that brooder chicks should not be given very cold water as that can chill them
This is especially key for shipped chicks which may already be experiencing chilling or other stress.. and may contribute to organ failure as a side effect of that chilling.

I believe it's much less (virtually none) of a concern for broody raised or established chicks with a source to warm up.. or also if already feathered.

I mean chicks have been raised by broody hens outdoors for a long time and I’m assuming the owners didn’t fuss over giving them warm water every morning, but I thought I’d ask here just to be sure
Chicks drink whatever water is available for the flock in my setup.. with special attention to using shallow pans or other sources which allow for easy exit should one fall in or preventing entry all together.

I'll admit sometimes it makes me crazy just for my flock to be hanging their wattes or beards into the cold water.. one good reason for using nipples, though has challenges of other sorts.. varied heights, etc.

Always gave my chicks cold water been raising chicks for over 25 years never had any problems. Be careful what you read and see on the internet they over think the simple things.
I had 4 that the mother rejected yesterday. We lost 2 last night. Two left but I can't get them to drink water or eat. Gave them small amount of water with eye dropper but other than that they haven't drank any water. I scrambled some eggs but they didn't eat that either. Any suggestions on how to get them to drink or eat!

I had 4 that the mother rejected yesterday. We lost 2 last night. Two left but I can't get them to drink water or eat. Gave them small amount of water with eye dropper but other than that they haven't drank any water. I scrambled some eggs but they didn't eat that either. Any suggestions on how to get them to drink or eat!
You will probably just have to keep using the dropper for water. As for food, put tiny amounts in their beaks at a time. They'll get it down soon!

Back
Top Bottom