Button Quail 123

Chirping
Dec 17, 2018
Hey everyone,
I was just wondering, could Coturnix Quail be kept outdoors (in Illinois) during winter?
They would obviously need some sort of shield to block from wind, snow, etc., but would they need a heat lamp?
Any special extra-protein diet?

I probably won't be getting any Coturnix for a couple years, but I'd still like to know what it's like.

Thanks, Button Quail 123 :)

I personally would not keep them outside in winter in your region. I live in NE Ohio, and I keep mine in an insulated garage with multiple heat sources. The problem is their lifespan is short and you want to maximize their laying potential. I have noticed when it gets super cold I do need to provide more heat, even in my insulated garage, and they do lay more with the heat and light. The temp in my garage really never goes below 50 degrees in general.
They are lovely lovely birds and are so sweet. You will like having them, and the eggs are delicious (so is the meat).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/organic-superfood.1284768/

I actually wrote some stuff about dietary nutrition that will maximize laying potential and increase quality of eggs. I wrote the above just this morning. Theres another post I wrote about Feeding and Habitats that would be helpful.

They are high energy birds that need a lot of fuel, so yes I do supplement with protein and I only use gamebird food at 28% (Nutrena 50lb bag). Message me if you have any questions :) Good luck!

Everyone has their own way of doing things. They WILL be fine outside all winter as long as they have a draft free location to shelter. Simple as that. They are a lot more wild than domestic, and can handle a lot more cold than chickens due to them not roosting. And even most chickens are fine down into the negative digits. But some folks like to bring them in for the Winter. Sometimes for egg production like @MichelleKing mentioned.

Thanks for the advice paneubert. Since I would like to have eggs year-round, I would make sure they were warm enough and if not, bring them inside. :)

I don't have personal experience with the heat keeping eggs going versus just light keeping eggs going, but I guess I could see the logic. I just know that with chickens they will keep laying just with the right amount of light and don't need heat. Lots of stories of people with frozen chicken eggs..... But it seems totally reasonable that heat might also contribute to the right hormones being produced as well.

Everyone has their own way of doing things. They WILL be fine outside all winter as long as they have a draft free location to shelter. Simple as that. They are a lot more wild than domestic, and can handle a lot more cold than chickens due to them not roosting. And even most chickens are fine down into the negative digits. But some folks like to bring them in for the Winter. Sometimes for egg production like @MichelleKing mentioned.
X2

Back
Top Bottom