Can goats eat too much minerals?

picklestheduck

Obsessed with Animals🦆🐓🐥🐴🐱🐶
Premium Feather Member
Oct 16, 2021
Michigan
Hello everyone, im a newbie to goats, so please don’t judge too hard. Long story short I’ve been sprinkling minerals over their feed, because that’s what their previous owners did, but I’ve heard several times that I need to offer loose minerals. Well I hung a little feed tray thingy in their stall yesterday and put a half cup of minerals in there this morning since I wasn’t sure how much and didn’t want to fill it. This evening it’s gone. I only have two pregnant does in there, so they probably got around a quarter cup each? I just now heard they can overdose… what should I do? Will that much hurt them? Do they need that much or more? Help!

Speaking only from horse experience, when horses are deprived of a salt/mineral supplement for a period of time, they will gorge on it when it's refilled. Talking 1/2 C plus for an average horse. They will revisit the bucket a few more times over the next few days and then it's just a bit here and there. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure they are drinking.
I offer loose white salt and ADM grostrong.
Agree that if it's a pelleted mineral feed mixed with alfalfa or other feed ingredients, they will easily over consume. That needs to be portioned out.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure this is what I have. I’m not for sure since I cut the top half of the bag off for storage but it seems right. I put a quarter cup for each in there this morning and they had licked it clean within the hour.

Attachments

• 3423F036-9670-437A-AE7A-3534B6166180.jpeg
    3423F036-9670-437A-AE7A-3534B6166180.jpeg
    739.8 KB · Views: 4
They are likely deficient and that's why they ate it all. Pregnant and milking does will need more too. I would add a small amount (like 1/4 cup for both) a couple times a day until they stop taking it all. Then you can fill it up more without worrying about them taking too much.
I think this is a good idea. ^^

Here is the product: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dumor-goat-mineral-25-lb-bag
Instructions say to provide "free choice, under shelter, to goats as the sole source of mineral and salt while feeding on pasture or stored forage in dry lot."

EDIT: Whoops, just realized there is no ingredient list there.
Don't be concerned about the individual ingredients. It's the analysis that is important. It is formulated to be fed free choice so it's just the "minerals and vitamins". It's not coming from feed ingredients. I would put regular white salt out as well jik they are eating the minerals to satisfy their salt needs.
The only issue I have had is with Se. Colorado has areas of every high Se soil levels. One of my pastures was shale and extremely high while the others were clay and had normal levels. Se, Vit A and Ca: P are the most important numbers that I look at when buying a vitamin mineral supplement. I also don't like to pay a premium for salt so the lower the salt% the better.

Back
Top Bottom