Can hens ever turn into roosters?

I have had this happen with two separate flocks. The first time we butchered the rooster of flock one and a few weeks later the top hen started crowing and herding the hens.
The second flock a few years later the rooster was lost to a hawk and almost immediately the top hen crowed and after a few weeks had changed colors completely grew a huge floppy comb and white ears plucked out her back feathers and grew sickles.

I have had this happen with two separate flocks. The first time we butchered the rooster of flock one and a few weeks later the top hen started crowing and herding the hens.
The second flock a few years later the rooster was lost to a hawk and almost immediately the top hen crowed and after a few weeks had changed colors completely grew a huge floppy comb and white ears plucked out her back feathers and grew sickles.
And did you ever SEE either of those hens lay eggs before they developed male traits? It's not unusual for a hen to take over roo duties when the roo is removed from a flock. Nor is it unusual for a bird to be delayed in developing male characteristics. But a female bird who is laying eggs does not suddenly grow a set of testicles and become a male with the capability of fertilizing eggs. Some times an individual animal can be born with 2 sets of chromosomes, and then could in theory lay eggs and fertilize eggs. This would be a type of chimera.

This just looks like a brown Leghorn hen to me?

Back
Top Bottom