Can humans get lice from chickens?

Can humans get lice from chickens?

----
this is an old thread-but contrary to what ppl have said on here, yes you can-and I did-get lice from chickens. I spent a week playing on my grandparents' farm and had hair down to my bottom and my mother had to pull each of those "nits" off each hair-they grow around the hair follicle...and she ended up having to cut off my long silky hair. third grade... and no other cases of lice in our school. mama said it was the worst experience of her life. I had spent lots of time climbing the fig tree mamaw's hens lived in, and I remember playing with them all week. I came home and told her I felt like bugs were crawling all over my head, and had no idea about lice... sure enough, she pulled one from my hair and put it between a piece of tape and that's what it was. makes my skin crawl even now! now, I have 14 young hens of my own and always wear my hair up when I'm with them. lol gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it!

Last edited:
I have a turkey and found lice around his tail after I was petting and playing with him. He is so adorable and affectionate he is always with me outside. Sure enough I felt crawling in the back of my head and pulled out two lice so far. I am washing and scrubbing everything and throwing out my farm clothes. So I would say yes humans can get lice from chickens and turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom