Can I buy fertilized eggs for a broody hen to hatch?

I recently tried hatching eggs with a broody hen. This was my first try, and I had a local friend here in NC help me and got the eggs from her. After second batch didn't hatch after 5 weeks I gave up. one was completely grown in the shell but i guess couldn't pip. The other i think wasn't fertile. But I learned how to Candle eggs. My broody is the absolute best. I ended up ordering 3 day old chicks from a nursery. One didn't make it. I think it got squashed. The other two are now 7 weeks old and doing great! Sooo much easier than raising chicks in my basement. I don't want a rooster, has a bad experience with one. This works for me and Mama has been Amazing! She's still chasing off the others if they approach the babies food!

Some good feedback has been given already. :thumbsup

I will just add that I refuse to buy hatching eggs or chicks from unknown sources.. as it's one way I see folks bringing disease to their flock.. Chronic respiratory stuff, salmonella, etc.
I can see where bringing in older chicks or above could introduce problems but buying hatching eggs, especially locally or incubator hatched chicks directly from the incubator should be a safe choice.

I can see where bringing in older chicks or above could introduce problems but buying hatching eggs, especially locally or incubator hatched chicks directly from the incubator should be a safe choice.
Incorrect.. not understanding what things are passed vertically in hatching eggs.. from the hen to the embryo inside (transovarian).. before incubation or hatch ever even starts. I wasn't super specific previously but here's a link to just ONE of those possibilities (MG) from a trusted and reliable veterinary resource..

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-infection-in-poultry#:~:text=M gallisepticum is transmitted vertically,shoes, equipment, etc).

Here is a more basic but close enough write up..

https://bitchinchickens.com/2021/05/06/vertical-transmission-of-pathogens/

Incubator hatched eggs.., on Marek's (or any other infectious) laden property.. still possibly otherwise exposed in MY opinion. Quarantine is much harder to achieve than what *most* folks are doing between their back yard and living room.

Please understand it's all fun and games until it hits your flock. The risk is too high for ME and my statement of concern is valid (more than you apparently currently know). But don't let MY personal risk tolerance influence YOUR adventure and experience. :cool:

Happy adventures! :wee

Back
Top Bottom