Can I buy fertilized eggs for a broody hen to hatch?

Some good feedback has been given already. :thumbsup

I will just add that I refuse to buy hatching eggs or chicks from unknown sources.. as it's one way I see folks bringing disease to their flock.. Chronic respiratory stuff, salmonella, etc.
I second this. This is how i got Mareks in my flock a while back.

No. :lau It is kind of funny that I made this post. I just really want to hatch chicks at some point and want to learn how to do it beforehand. Sorry I took so long to answer you.
No problem. The advantage of a mother hen is that they take all the guesswork out of it and normally have high success rates. The advantage of an incubator is that you hatch on your schedule and not when the hen's hormones cause her to want to raise a family.
You can increase your odds with a hen by having breeds prone to be setters. Those are breeds like Cochins. There are others but broody prone silkies tend to be predator vulnerable.

I've only had two Orpingtons, both buffs. One was frequently broody, the other never was.
Just because a breed is supposed to be prone to set, doesn't mean that one will. Leghorns are not supposed to be broody. I had a black leghorn that raised 2 clutches a year for me and when we had 100 white leghorns, there were always 2 or 3 in broody jail.
I've read that Penedesencas don't go broody. Perhaps that author based the assessment on the fact that they are Mediterranean and in general, Med breeds aren't setters. I've raised over 30 breeds with most experience in Leghorns and Penedesencas - I never went a year without Penedesencas going broody and one year, I had 8 pullets go broody at once right after they commenced laying. That was in a coop with 9 pullets.
Bottom line is, there are no guarantees.
I once knew of a hatchery that didn't use incubators. They had a building dedicated to hatching with a wall of nest boxes and all they had were bantam Cochins that did all their hatching.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom