Can I Cage Rabbits with Chickens?

orpington13

Songster
5 Years
Mar 3, 2014
I just got more rabbits and one is a male. He is getting too feisty with the does but they didn't mate. So, he has to move out. Our chicken coop is big enough to cage him and it would be easier to maintain. But the question is, Can I have him in the coop with the Chickens?

I would say no. Chickens create lot of dust and can give them some serious respiratory problems. A second concern would be if your chickens get mites or parasites the rabbit will get infected too. You could also just get him neutered and take that fiestyness out of him if that is an option. Good luck with your little boy!

we WILL NOT spay or neuter any of our rabbits. They are not pets.

Last edited:
Here is her response:

Hi there B !

It should be fine to keep Rabbits and chickens together. But there are a few things to consiter. First off I wouldn't suggest having the bunny sleep under the chicken roost. Chickens poop a lot while they sleep and the bunny woulden't like it. You could, however, build them a house underneath the roost. Bunnies like cozy, dark, private places. Second, the rabbit will dig. Make sure the rabbit can't escape. Lastly, Make sure the chickens are not defecating in the rabbit's food.

-Thank you,
L

Last edited:
Thanks! I just read your response. She has been living with them ever since and they get along just fine!

Back
Top Bottom