Can I eat the eggs if......

Quote:
The reason you want to switch to a layer formula when they lay is because that formulation has extra calcium added--something they need because hens form eggshell with the calcium. If you don't supplement, they will rob their bodies to supply the eggshells and they could weaken their bones.

I know of some folks with mixed flocks that keep their hens on the non-medicated grower (its higher in protein than layer) because they supplement with oyster shell free choice (source of calcium) and they feed scratch which is lower in protein.

You won't have a problem with eating the egg, enjoy it!

I'm sorry but I am stuck on the fact that you said your pullet is a Wyandotte and she laid a beautiful white egg. I thought they were brown egg layers, mine is a Silver Laced Wyandotte.

I'd switch the food, wait a while, maybe several weeks, and then start eating them. I only used natural, unmedicated feed, don't need the other stuff...

According to your post of the label nowhere does it have medicated on it or a drug that is an antibotic. But I would change over to a layer formula over a period of a week mix the 2 together also add some calcium to a small bowl they can free choice , beleive me they will. In the meantime enjoy your eggs .
tongue2.gif
You have waited for them.

If you bag was medicated, and it was unsafe for you to eat the eggs, the bag would say so in large letters.

I feed the grower until I run out, and then switch to layer as they start laying, they will be fine. If you are worried, you can add some oyster shell free choice, and the layers will eat it if they are craving it, and the others won't bother it. The calcium at first is not so critical, it as the egg laying goes on, that it becomes more critical. Although, I have a neighbor that has never fed it, and has great egg shells.

Eat your first egg with great joy! and I wish you many more.

Mrs.K

Last edited:
Actually, I was confused about this too. I was feeding Home Grown Starter/Grower and thought it was non-medicated because no where on the bag did it say "medicated." However, when I finally hoisted the bag out of the can and read the list of ingredients on the tag attached to the bottom, I discovered it contains Amprolium, so it's not always as obvious as one might think.

Artie

hmmmm... As far as I can tell the feed wasn't medicated. I certainly didn't ask for medicated feed adn I can't see anything that sounds suspect on the ingredients list. I'm going to eat the egg.... if you don't hear from me after today....you'll know I made the wrong choice.

I'm not sure about the guy in the pet shop anyways, he said some other strange stuff that made me wonder.
For example: I told him that I stopped feeding my hens mixed corn everyday cuz one was getting fat and stopped laying. He replied that I was wrong and it is impossible for a chicken to get overweight - they self regulate their weight or something..... is this true? Sounds bizarre.

Quote:
I caught that too. HMMMMMMM
hmm.png
Wyandottes do lay brown not white. Anyway, here is what I have learned. If you prefer to feed medicated feed, you can switch them over to non medicated feed at around 8 weeks. Keep them on the higher protien grower food until they are around laying age or are laying. Then you can start them on layer food or you can keep them on the grower (non medicated) and offer them oyster shell. Since I have a flock of mixed ages and some roosters, I like to keep mine on the higher protien food and the oyster shell. The roosters don't eat the oyster shell and don't get the additional calcium in the food. If you want to feed them layer food once they are laying and have a rooster, many people will feed just layer and it is fine. You don't have to worry much about the roosters and the extra calcium. As far as if a chicken can get over weight, I don't know but corn should only be fed as a treat since it doesn't have all the vitamins and minerals needed in the feed. I give my flock some every day but only mixed in with other "scratch" seeds and apple pieces. Finally, I think you can learn a lot more from the smart people on this site than from the feed/pet store employees. Usually, you know more about your animals than they do. Hope this all helps!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom