Can I eat this chicken with a broken wing?

HenriettaPizzaNolan

Raising Layers and Meat Birds in the City
Premium Feather Member
Apr 22, 2022
Northern Ohio
So we had one chicken who broke its wing last time we were processing Cornish X. We think it happened after we chopped the head off and when we put it in a bucket to flap. I kept one whole bird in the freezer for roasting, and today as I thawed it, I realize it's the one with the broken wing. The bone is sticking out of the skin. Can I still roast it? Should I cut that wing off? Is it safe to eat? We were pretty sanitary when processing the birds, but I just want to be sure this is okay. The chicken does not smell rotten.

signal-2023-05-19-13-02-32-487.jpg

It's probably hard to see because it's smushed in the bag, but that dark part is the bone.

I would think eating it would not be a problem. I have bought whole chickens in the grocery, only to find they had a broken leg or wing. We cooked and ate them without a problem.

If it smells fine, I'd say it's fine myself.

For comparison, folks skin chickens prior to bagging, and part them out prior to bagging, and cut off feet. So exposed skin and bone are normal for the process. I wash random feathers off of my skinned chickens prior to bagging them, and it works fine that way.

Doesn't sound like there was any infection, so I'd say it's fine.

I would think eating it would not be a problem. I have bought whole chickens in the grocery, only to find they had a broken leg or wing. We cooked and ate them without a problem.
Thanks! That makes sense.
If it smells fine, I'd say it's fine myself.

For comparison, folks skin chickens prior to bagging, and part them out prior to bagging, and cut off feet. So exposed skin and bone are normal for the process. I wash random feathers off of my skinned chickens prior to bagging them, and it works fine that way.

Doesn't sound like there was any infection, so I'd say it's fine.
Thank you! And so you are saying that infection would be the main reason someone wouldn't eat a chicken with a bone sticking out? Meaning, it was injured before death and bacteria had time to get in and spread? I ask because I swear I saw someone say a broken bone like mine has can let a lot of bacteria in during processing. I know there's bacteria on our chickens no matter what, but I'm just talking about excessive amounts that can make you sick.

I'm still new to all of this so sorry if these are dumb questions!

So we had one chicken who broke its wing last time we were processing
I would have no problems cooking and eating that chicken since it broke during processing. I part mine as part of processing, exposing bones and all that. Any bacteria hasn't had time to multiply to a dangerous level. Even without you specifically mentioning it, from your other posts I'd expect you would be pretty sanitary while processing.

If that were an old wound I would probably feel differently. Depending on what it looked like I might just cut the wing off and toss it or if it looked infected I might toss the whole bird. But I don't see any concern with what you have other than that wing might dry out when roasting.

Thank you! And so you are saying that infection would be the main reason someone wouldn't eat a chicken with a bone sticking out? Meaning, it was injured before death and bacteria had time to get in and spread? I ask because I swear I saw someone say a broken bone like mine has can let a lot of bacteria in during processing. I know there's bacteria on our chickens no matter what, but I'm just talking about excessive amounts that can make you sick.

I'm still new to all of this so sorry if these are dumb questions!
There's no dumb questions. Better to ask than not.

Yes, I agree with @Ridgerunner the bacteria has not had time to multiply and spread. It would be the same as parting the bird out, which is fine during processing.

I was really worried about keeping things clean during processing myself, I'll link a post I made where a lot of really knowledgeable people gave great advice.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-want-to-be-sure-meat-is-safe-to-eat.1566685/

I would have no problems cooking and eating that chicken since it broke during processing. I part mine as part of processing, exposing bones and all that. Any bacteria hasn't had time to multiply to a dangerous level. Even without you specifically mentioning it, from your other posts I'd expect you would be pretty sanitary while processing.

If that were an old wound I would probably feel differently. Depending on what it looked like I might just cut the wing off and toss it or if it looked infected I might toss the whole bird. But I don't see any concern with what you have other than that wing might dry out when roasting.
Thank you, and thanks for the compliment! That makes sense. It totally is similar to exposing bones when parting out the bird, now that you and another person have mentioned it. I think I'll probably just cook this bird and if the wing does dry out like you suspect, my dog will enjoy chicken wing meat on top of his feed tonight!

There's no dumb questions. Better to ask than not.

Yes, I agree with @Ridgerunner the bacteria has not had time to multiply and spread. It would be the same as parting the bird out, which is fine during processing.

I was really worried about keeping things clean during processing myself, I'll link a post I made where a lot of really knowledgeable people gave great advice.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-want-to-be-sure-meat-is-safe-to-eat.1566685/
Thank you! Yeah, like you, I just want to make sure I'm getting things right do the meat is safe. I do remember seeing that thread but I'll check it out again to refresh myself before we process CX this weekend. We're doing 7 birds on Sunday and that's why I want to roast this last one from the last batch.

Back
Top Bottom