Can I feed BOTH layer AND all flock feed?

Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
Hi all.

So I started put my girls on Dumor Layer feed in 2019 for about a year and a half. I had some issues with moisture absorption, so based on some recommendations I received here, I switched them to Purina all flock. However I still had a huge bag of layer leftover (and only 5 ladies), so I fed them a mix for a while (months). Shortly after the switch, two of my girls started to really shine! In fact my Wyandotte laid more eggs her second year than she had her first! Then a couple months into the new all flock formula, I noticed
two of my girls having not such a great time- reduced egg production, tougher molts - minor things that may or may not have been related to the feed change. But I realized these things started happening about the time the girls were switched from a mix of layer & all-flock to 100% al flock. The timing was oddly suspicious. So… I decided to go back to layer formula, only this time I went with Nutrena since it’s higher protein. They’ve been on this formula since the spring. No issues. Then, by mistake, my husband bought a small bag of Purina all-flock. My older 5 hens, who don’t lay too frequently anymore, went nuts for it! They prefer it so much over the Nutrena. I don’t know if it’s a pellets vs crumbles thing, or if they just prefer it. My 3 younger girls, who are heavy layers, seem to prefer the Nutrena pellets. Not sure if there is something special about it for their age or if they’re just being difficult. Anyway, this was probably an unnecessarily long post but I have this one question-

Is there any harm in offering BOTH feeds simultaneously to my flock? Whether mixed together in a single feeder or in 2 separate feeders? Will they naturally choose the one that their body most craves? Is there any reason this could be harmful? I know it’s not necessary- but my question is: is it safe?

I can't see why it wouldn't be safe. They are both safe on their own. I can't see how mixing them would make them unsafe. I have often mixed layer with grower, sometimes depending on what is happening in my flock and what I happen to pick up at the feed store. I generally stay with the same brand that makes both. Right now I have been mixing layer mash with layer crumbles.

I am no expert and others may have a different opinion. I think as long as the layers are getting enough calcium you should be fine.

I feed both layer and grower (which is similar to all flock) but I don't mix them. I feed the layer as dry pellets available all day, and the grower is fermented and served in the morning, so they generally clear that out first before moving onto the pellets (though some birds like the pellets). This way I have a little more control over their protein and calcium intake - in the winter they get more grower for a little extra protein and a little less calcium, in spring and summer when laying increases they tend to eat more of the layer so they're getting a little extra calcium.

I also offer oyster shell on the side so layers can boost their calcium as needed.

I can't see why it wouldn't be safe. They are both safe on their own. I can't see how mixing them would make them unsafe. I have often mixed layer with grower, sometimes depending on what is happening in my flock and what I happen to pick up at the feed store. I generally stay with the same brand that makes both. Right now I have been mixing layer mash with layer crumbles.

I am no expert and others may have a different opinion. I think as long as the layers are getting enough calcium you should be fine.
Thank you for your response! I think I will offer them both in separate feeders.

I feed both layer and grower (which is similar to all flock) but I don't mix them. I feed the layer as dry pellets available all day, and the grower is fermented and served in the morning, so they generally clear that out first before moving onto the pellets (though some birds like the pellets). This way I have a little more control over their protein and calcium intake - in the winter they get more grower for a little extra protein and a little less calcium, in spring and summer when laying increases they tend to eat more of the layer so they're getting a little extra calcium.

I also offer oyster shell on the side so layers can boost their calcium as needed.
I think I will offer them both in separate feeders. I do also have oyster shells and egg shells available for them, so they have access to that if needed, as well. Thank you for your response!

My understanding from a lot of threads here is that the main issue is not letting little chicks get access to the layer feed. If they're older they can eat more what they want. Last year I offered starter/grower crumble and layer crumble in separate containers for a long time with my pullets when they were new to laying and laying at different rates and preferring different things. I also offered oyster shell, but they didn't take to it for quite some time. They spent about 2 months leaning towards purely layer crumbles, then it got really cold (near 0F at the time) and suddenly they all went back to preferring the starter/grower in a big way and started eating oyster shell with it. I guess there must be more energy in the particular starter/grower I'm using or something. Anyway, I've gotten good hard shelled eggs the whole time.

EDIT: just realized you said all flock not starter - oops. Well, my anecdote may be less relevant then.

Personally, I am a bit more casual. When I get chicks, I will just dump the new chick feed on top of the layer feed or flock feed and figure that when I get down to it, the chicks will be big enough to manage it.

There will be nothing wrong in adding both in the same bowl, if you want or to keep it separate. It might be interesting if they do prefer one to the other.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom