can i have a vote

Looking forward to eating the nice fresh eggs my future hens will produce! But the girls and Mario Cipollini (our rooster finally has a name!
wee.gif
) will live out their natural life span with us, never finding their way into the stewpot....

As for Mario - how did he get the name you ask? Mario Cipollini was one of the fastest & most flamboyant sprinters in the world, dominating professional cycling for years and our rooster proved he had quite a speedy SPRINT in him the first day with us! Mario was also well known for his colourful personality, and as quite the ladies man! (Our Mario has three hens on the way - yet another good match!) His nickname is Il Re Leone or The Lion King and our Mario has quite the "roar" as well - his crowing can shake the rafters!

yippiechickie.gif

(Mario Cipollini raced professionally from 1989 - 2005 and amassed 191 victories, including a record number of 43 stage wins in the Giro d'Italia over the course of his career.)

In case it isn't obvious - cycling is another passion of mine!

Last edited:
See like that i can't understand how anyone could ever put the sweet darlings into stew and dinner, im a vegitarian, almost vegan, milk is just a neccessaty of mine can't quite get rid of it

I currently do not eat any of my chickens becasue I only have a small flock. It wouldn't be economical for me to use them for meat - plus they're pets!

If I lived on a bigger piece of land and could start a flock for meat I would. I would feel much better knowing the chicken that ended up on my table had a good life free of cruelty. The chickens that end up in the grocery store get there after a short life of cruelty and abuse.... not to mention the fact that they were pumped full of chemicals.

I'm not a vegan/veg.

I have eaten the product of my breeders in the past and plan to do so with the majority of the male offspring from my Muskovy ducks. Currently have 20 eggs under 2 hens. Bound to be males born. Females and 1 or 2 NICE males will be sold. The rest will make their way into my freezer and eventually onto my table.

I have a mixed flock (some pets) for pest control and egg production. (The Farmers Market in my area is just about ready to start back up.) When the hens get to old to produce - the pets will still be eating those pests. The others will make great stew.

I am also starting a flock of Standard SF for egg sales, chick sales and my table.

Last edited:
I would NEVER even think of eating my birds. Even if I was stranded on an island, I would make sure they were ok before worrying about myself.
tongue.png

I'm not a vegitarian - But I'm really trying to become one.

I am not a vegetarian or a vegan but I dont eat my birds. I love the eggs tho! I did eat one of my original birds, but that was for my sons benifit, i guess you could say. We had a VERY aggressive roo, and he would attack my son, everytime he heard/Saw him. So after a few months, and my son scared to death to step foot outside, we culled the roo, and ate it. I have to say, i didnt realy enjoy it all that much. But I Would do It again if needed.

I'm raising my flock for eggs only. I don't believe I would eat any of my chickens.
My chicken comes in cellophane wrapped plastic containers and mostly from Perdue.
I'm a carnivore, thank you. 80% beef, from a local natural farmer, 15% chicken as described, and 5% fish from local market. Vegetables make the plate look more colorful.
Remember that commercial? "Sure I like salad! As long as its on top of a nice, big, juicy burger."

Last edited:
I am a vegetarian (I eat dairy products and eggs as well). I plan on eating eggs from my chickens. Out of necessity I have to cut back on the number of chicks I have now so that I end up with absolutely no more than 12 adult chickens. My husband eats meat, so I will probably let him process the extra birds, but I don't plan on being around for it. From day one I have known which chicks wouldn't make the final cut, so to speak, and for me at least, that makes it a little easier.

Definately not a vegetarian here. We just got our chickens last year, and have not yet butchered any. I remember growing up and having to butcher them. Not a pretty memory! Not sure if I will butcher any or not as I have 56 chicks, and 20 hens.

Back
Top Bottom