can i have a vote

I'm vegetarian, but I eat fish.

I first went veggie when I first started looking into keeping chickens, and realised what wonderful personalities they have.

I think I turned a couple of people veggie on Saturday when I picked up one of the newborn ram lambs at the city farm to let people stroke it, and then when they said it was cute/soft/whatever else I informed them that they would soon be lamb chops because they were male. The look of shocked horror that came over their face said it all.

Not a vegetarain,

accidental farm,

I find it fascinating that you can cut back on your grocery bill by 75%, does that mean you grow 75% of your food? I don't have any chickens, (my eggs arrive tomorrow!) but I definitely plan on eating my roosters. With organic chicken at 3+ a lb, and you don't really know how it is raised, I am excited about getting that healthy food from my back yard! I must admit, I don't think I'll have anything to do with the processing, except plucking, and I don't know if I'd be brave enough to attempt it if DH wasn't here! We live on a little over an acre in a more residential area, and I love the idea of putting this land to work!

Samara

I am 15 and a Vegan.

I have been raised in a home of omnivores and I was vegetarian for 2 years before going full out vegan. My reasons are simple for becoming a vegan, I am not going to hurt anyone to give myself pleasure I can live without.

I raise my chickens for pleasure and I sell eggs to help buy feed. I believe that I am doing my part because every dozen eggs I sell is one less the egg industry sells.

Thanks for letting me voice my opinion.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, I do grow a lot of vegetables and can or freeze much of it which, lasts pretty much right up until the next years harvest. Our meat consists primarily of hunting/fishing catch's: venison, dove, quail, fresh and saltwater fish, and hog. When saltwater fishing, we often trade shrimpers for some of the shrimp they've just caught. I didn't really intend to, but I believe home-grown chicken will be added to the list. We package and freeze excess meat and fish. As I mentioned before, by next year we will have many, many types of producing fruit trees and vines-we currently only have peach, fig, wild mustang grapes, melons and strawberries. I've also started an asparagus garden that should be producing next year. My grocery costs consist mainly of soaps & shampoo, personal items, food staples, pet food and dairy items. I still spend more than I'd like at the grocery store, but that is due mainly to my poor time management.
big_smile.png
For the food items, though, yes- our grocery bill is so very much lower than it was before we gardened and had the freezer space for extra meat and veggies (and before I learned to can food).

i respect all of your chioses, but i still say unless you raise MEAT birds then i can kinda understand, but if you don't, then isn't it just like eating your own cat or dog?

i love chicken. i have sent out birds to be butcherd then go pick them up. now days i donate extra roos to the local rapture rehab for food.

Not being a vegan and never will be, I like meat and seperate pets animals from livestock intended for food purposes.

I've eaten plenty of my extra roosters. Although I love poultry for the different colors, sizes, variety etc..., I mainly raise chickens as a food source (eggs) and to have around the property to watch. When I have more roosters than I can give away then I use them for my own table. It has been a few years since I last butchered one of my own roosters for food.

I don't name any of my chickens and I do not get attached to them as I would a dog or cat.

Quote:
It's definitely an emotional hurdle for some of us to make the choice to use culled chickens and roo's for the table. Personally, it was never something I intended to do. However, if I cannot satisfactorily re-home a bird, then putting it down humanely is the only other option. To eat the bird is just a matter of being practical. I have children to feed. If I also have to cull a chicken that was raised at my home, it would be wasteful not to put it on the table. It will be of far better quality than any I could purchase at the grocery store. And of course, as parents, we opt for the healthiest food we can manage for our children.

Comparing it to eating your own cat or dog is like comparing apples and oranges. If it was normal and acceptable for people to go to the supermarket to purchase cat or dog meat for the table as we do poultry, beef, pork, etc., I suspect more people would raise cat and dog for meat purposes, as well as have them for pets.

So, to answer your question- no, it is nothing like eating your own cat or dog. Please don't think that it is easy for the vast majority to put their culled birds on the table, it really is not. I believe that most of us truly enjoy the birds and love them for many varied reasons and as adults, we must at times let practicality and logic step in and make our choices.

I only have four young pullets, and my girls will die of old age. I do eat meat, but my birds are pets who will give me eggs. In a way my chickens are part of my longtime desire for pet birds. Cage birds aren't an option with three indoor cats; its not fair to the birds. If I did raise meat birds someone else would have to do the butchering. I do like the idea of knowing where my food comes from. I still want to read "The Omnivores Dilemna". Sorry about the spelling.

Quote:
It's definitely an emotional hurdle for some of us to make the choice to use culled chickens and roo's for the table. Personally, it was never something I intended to do. However, if I cannot satisfactorily re-home a bird, then putting it down humanely is the only other option. To eat the bird is just a matter of being practical. I have children to feed. If I also have to cull a chicken that was raised at my home, it would be wasteful not to put it on the table. It will be of far better quality than any I could purchase at the grocery store. And of course, as parents, we opt for the healthiest food we can manage for our children.

Comparing it to eating your own cat or dog is like comparing apples and oranges. If it was normal and acceptable for people to go to the supermarket to purchase cat or dog meat for the table as we do poultry, beef, pork, etc., I suspect more people would raise cat and dog for meat purposes, as well as have them for pets.

So, to answer your question- no, it is nothing like eating your own cat or dog. Please don't think that it is easy for the vast majority to put their culled birds on the table, it really is not. I believe that most of us truly enjoy the birds and love them for many varied reasons and as adults, we must at times let practicality and logic step in and make our choices.

Exactly!! i bought my birds solely for pets, and eggs. But our roo was so nasty it was not safe for us to rehome him. So our only logical choice was to cull and eat him. It made no sense to just toss it in the trash, it is a chicken after all, and food is food.

And no eating a pet chicken is nothing like eating a cat or dog. Cats and dogs, around here, are not raised or bred for human consumption like Chickens are. there is no comparrison

Back
Top Bottom