Can I place a galvanized waterer on a heater base?

Hey chicken lovers!

Can I place a galvanized poultry waterer on a heater base? Will it rust, break down, or otherwise contaminate my chicken's water? Are there any other concerns for using a heater with this waterer?

Thanks!
Yes, I do this every winter. I ended up buying a special plug adapter (found at my hardware store) that only turns on when the temperature reaches about 34 degrees. By plugging the base into this adaptor, it only comes on when necessary and stays on until the temperature rises above 36 degrees. This prevents it from heating continuously. However, my galvanized cans have developed rusty patches (not serious) on the inside of the cans. I don't think it has anything to do with the heat, however, but one never knows. Plastic waterers are not supposed to go on heaters, but I think some people do it anyway. Heated plastic can leach toxins into the water over time.

They will do fine, zinc in the galvanizing is an essential mineral for chickens. I have used an old metal cookie tin with a hole punched in it for a 40 watt light bulb. Leave it on 24/7, in most climates a little bit of heat is all it takes to keep water from freezing. If not, add another bulb.

They will do fine, zinc in the galvanizing is an essential mineral for chickens. I have used an old metal cookie tin with a hole punched in it for a 40 watt light bulb. Leave it on 24/7, in most climates a little bit of heat is all it takes to keep water from freezing. If not, add another bulb.
I do the same. In the past I've used a 40 watt bulb down to 0 deg, then switch to a 60 for below 0.
Mine is plugged into a cube
I have two metal waterers and switch them out when one is getting low

Back
Top Bottom