Can I put day old chicks under a new mother who already has chicks?

inquisitivebird

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2014
I found my hen go broody after coming home from a camping trip. I didn't know how long she had been sitting but through more eggs under her. She only had a few. I was hoping they would hatch close enough together that she wouldn't leave the later placed eggs. Well, Saturday, three eggs hatched and Sunday after noon she left with the other eggs still in the box. She had scratched all the bedding up so it was covering the eggs and since it was a warm day the eggs were all still warm. I put them inside in my incubator and 2 days later they are hatching. I want to sneak them under her tonight, but am worried about it being too late for her to accept them. I know you can successfully do this before a broody has chicks, but what about if she already has some just a few days old?

Thats great, go for it, nust try it at night and watch her closely when she wakes up. Cant hurt to try it. It probably will be ok

@inquisitivebird I chickened out (OMG, didn't mean the pun!) and didn't put them under her. Might do it tonight. It seems like she never really goes to sleep because there is movement in the coop throughout the night. I do have a heat lamp over her broody nest because I am a wimp about letting them get cold... I think I will take it out this afternoon.

Thanks for the encouragement!
goodpost.gif

While the hen may stay alert at night, she can not see in the dark. That's why it's the best time to give her more chicks. Hopefully, in the morning she will just accept them as hers and act like they had always been with her. Definitely take down the heat lamp. The chicks need to be put with her in complete,or near, darkness.

@nchls school , Sorry I didn't get back to you, I went down and rescued the chicks as soon as I posted! I couldn't leave them in there because they were so vulnerable.
Funny thing, my Buffy just may have some issues with chicks of darker colors! Odd how things occur. One of my serama hatched a black tailed bantam chick with her own. She kept tying to peck off the black on the wing tips. She did quit after awhile, but I was considering taking the chick away from her. But all ended well. She did accept one which has a small dark stripe on top of her her, But the 2 Bielefelder chicks and the other 2 Ameracaunas were undesireable!

They were huddled together trying to be inconspicuous, and when I reached for them she did not try to defend them the way she does with the others, so I knew I was doing the right thing. Those poor babies were so happy to be picked up, and when I got to the house, I sat with them in my lap, with a towel under them that came up and created a cave. They settled down and took a nap and I sang the nonsense song that I always sang to them.

They are 4 happy chicks in their brooder. What more could I ask for??? I'm glad that all worked out.

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
Thank you!
bow.gif

It will depend upon the temperament of the hen. Your hen is firmly bonded to her chicks and may very well not accept any 'strangers' especially if they are a different color. Some breeds like silkies or Cochins can be more accepting of new chicks.

I found my hen go broody after coming home from a camping trip. I didn't know how long she had been sitting but through more eggs under her. She only had a few. I was hoping they would hatch close enough together that she wouldn't leave the later placed eggs. Well, Saturday, three eggs hatched and Sunday after noon she left with the other eggs still in the box. She had scratched all the bedding up so it was covering the eggs and since it was a warm day the eggs were all still warm. I put them inside in my incubator and 2 days later they are hatching. I want to sneak them under her tonight, but am worried about it being too late for her to accept them. I know you can successfully do this before a broody has chicks, but what about if she already has some just a few days old?
She, most likely, will accept them as a two day difference is not that much.

Last edited:
How about a 4 or more day difference? We gave 4 eggs laid by a 7 mos old Serama, to a broody Silkie who was our most trusted and experienced mama hen. Two days later, our Serama went broody for the first time. She held fast for two days, so we let her have the last egg she had laid.

Unfortunately, the Silkie stopped being broody and abandoned the nest after 13 days, so we put them under the Serama. All 4 eggs hatched yesterday and today she won't have anything to do with the nest box or remaining egg. I have moved the egg to a bator and if it hatches, I am worried that either the hen won't accept the new baby, or the older siblings might hurt it. What do you guys think?

I think I will try it with mine. I'll let you know how it goes. My biggest concern is that she will hurt them as impostors. they will be so close to hers though I don't know how she would tell the difference,

I think I will try it with mine. I'll let you know how it goes. My biggest concern is that she will hurt them as impostors. they will be so close to hers though I don't know how she would tell the difference,

I have watched my hens a great deal when their chicks first hatch and from what I see it takes time before they recognize chicks as their own. I will be most interested to read what happens. I rather think you could have given the hen the new chicks during the day and she would have accepted them as mine do.

How about a 4 or more day difference? We gave 4 eggs laid by a 7 mos old Serama, to a broody Silkie who was our most trusted and experienced mama hen. Two days later, our Serama went broody for the first time. She held fast for two days, so we let her have the last egg she had laid.

Unfortunately, the Silkie stopped being broody and abandoned the nest after 13 days, so we put them under the Serama. All 4 eggs hatched yesterday and today she won't have anything to do with the nest box or remaining egg. I have moved the egg to a bator and if it hatches, I am worried that either the hen won't accept the new baby, or the older siblings might hurt it. What do you guys think?

Many times I have given "late" chicks back to the hen. She will accept the new chick and the siblings will not hurt it. A couple days is not enough to make much difference. More than four days might be different. Please post the results.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom