Can I raise pheasants with chicks?

I haven't had any experience with pheasants but my feed store has some pheasants in and they put a sign up that says pheasants are fragile as babies and that some pheasants will definatly die. So if you put them with chicks the chicks might kill the pheasants.

Well heck then, we have really messed up
big_smile.png

We have raised chickens, turkeys, guineas, pheasants and peacocks together. Just watch the pheasants at first since they are smaller than the others. Once the pheasants are up and running they move pretty fast and can get out of the way of the other birds. Also, remember they start flying pretty quick so get a top for your brooder, unless you want to try and catch a tiny pheasant chick that can squeeze into almost any small crack.
barnie.gif
gig.gif

Once they are ready to go outside, watch the pheasants for gape worm (gasping, and throwing head back), we use pour-on ivermectin eprinex (sp?) you need a very small syringe since the dose ends up being like 0.05cc for a 1-lb bird.

There is several poultry dieses that the chickens will get but not Kill them or they may not even appear to have it. They can pass these to the wild birds which usually will be killed by the same dieses. So it is always safer to keep a lot of separation between chickens and other fowl.

But then again some have had no problems.

The advice on keeping them separate comes from State and Federal AG departments which have the large producers in mind, where an undetected dieses would create a large finacial lose.

As long as you have not had a problem with your current flock, there is a good chance you won't have a problem. I can recall many farm yards with a lot of different fowl in them from my younger days.

i had only planned on getting 5 or so and I can keep them in a separate brooder while they are very little. Thanks for the replies everybody!

Quote:
Hey egh, thanks for the props!!
big_smile.png

It is best to keep them apart, however, some species will need "instructions" on how to eat. A small, docile bantam breed such as silkies, cochin or sebrights can fill this niche. Otherwise, if they are eating well on their own, keep them apart.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom