Can I use medication to put down a sick bird?

Quote:
The roo imroved to almost normal for a few months , then went downhill again, and we put him down when he wasn't staying pink anymore.
Next time, if possible, I will make a really good sweet cocktail. Like Port with some vodka mixed in and get the chicken to pass out before hand. It can't take much.

I wouldn't be so sure...A chickens digestion and processes are really far away from human processes...Here is my idea..if anything with Caine in it is toxic, then could you not give like an injection of lidocaine somewhere near the heart maybe? It still might end with a chicken suffering for hours before it is dead...

You can always use duct tape and tape the wings to the body so the flapping is minimal, or use a bag with a hole cut out to put their head through and then do it that way.

Killing chickens really is part of keeping chickens, even if you got chickens with no intention of eating them...they sometimes survive attacks and such, that they need a gentle push into that good night.

It really isn't that bad. Just know that the chicken had a good life no matter how short, and it is better to be dead than suffering everyday of your life.

If you contact your local US dept of agriculture, who does the NPIP testing, they will put your chicken down for you. Just call your local extension office to get the number or go to the us department of agriculture website.

Ok, I just watched the YouTube video on how to dispatch using the broomstick method. Is all that flapping just the nerves? For now my brother does all the "dispatching" if we have to cull our birds. He is a hunter and is used to the hands on dirty work. I want to know that, if for some reason I have to dispatch one of the girls, that I would be doing it in the most humane manner possible.
I'm familiar with the death process in many other farm animals, but it's bigger, non-winged animals.
hit.gif
So no flapping involved! And after taking a trip to a commercial chicken processor when I was younger, I KNOW that hanging them upside down and then slitting their throat isn't the kindest way to kill them. Not an instant death.
I have had to put down many pigeons and the best way I have found is very cold water, it is not the best way but it is easier for me than to break it's neck, there is not much fight and it's quick. Just don't look! I have to put down a 6week old chick who took a tumble yesterday and has some kind of brain damage, not going to be a good day! Good luck with your hen! Send her off gently

Back
Top Bottom