Can I vax older chicks for Mareks?

StormySkyD

Hatching
Feb 16, 2023
So I got chicks from a local hatchery that did not vaccinate for Mareks and the rest of my flock is. I have kept these chicks separate but couldn't obtain mareks vaccine within the day. I have a mixture of chicks and hours of research is giving me no hope. Can I vaccinate older chicks for mareks?

You can, but vaccinating as day olds is best. Vaccines are sold online in 1000 dose vials. When they are mixed, they must be used in an hour. A foam cooler and ice packs are also necessary to keep it cold while shipping which costs more. It is available here and from Valleyvet and Strombergs:
https://www.jefferspet.com/md-vac-c...P_FRCmhkMSdyYos3Do_UDVisRrVgiAacaAvASEALw_wcB
so it won't be useless? Like is it worth it on my three week olds? or just a waste of money?

so it won't be useless? Like is it worth it on my three week olds? or just a waste of money?
Waste.. according to my understanding.. and opinion, as true quarantine is next to impossible for average keepers when it can travel for miles. But please always do what's in line with YOUR goals and understanding at the time.

Some birds have natural resistance and will also never show any symptoms or succumb despite being exposed. Do you have a previous diagnosis or experience that's got ya worried?

You will get lots of opinions on Mareks vaccine. I get my chicks vaccinated at hatcheries when offered. But I have had some chicks who were not, and the chicks I hatched here with an incubator or broodies, I never vaccinated. In 11 years I have never seen Mareks, so it doesn’t seem to be very common right here where I live. But it can be common in some areas. You could check with your state vet office if it is there. Since it takes 2 weeks for the vaccine to take affect, if you had Mareks nearby, it would be possible for chicks to become exposed. I don’t think it is a useless vaccine, since there were many deaths from Mareks until before farms started vaccinating in the late 50-60’s. The vaccine does not help that much if you already have Mareks in your flock, but it may help to prevent the tumors that happen in Mareks.

Back
Top Bottom