Can impacted crop cause hen to stop laying?

Bettysmom

In the Brooder
May 1, 2021
Hi everyone!
I recently added new hens to my flock.
One of which has not laid any eggs since I brought her home ( 5 days)
I discovered yesterday her crop was huge and soft, and I was thinking it was sour crop.
This morning her crop was emptied quite a bit but a small hard lump remained. Now I'm thinking impacted crop. I gave her coconut oil and a good crop massage. She is drinking lots of water and wants to eat. I've noticed since I've gotten her, she has very watery poops.
Could her lack of laying eggs be caused by her impacted crop? Any recommendations on what I should do? Any help is much appreciated!

From what I know yes. Various reasons I'd think. Lack of nutrition, stress, etc. I actually just performed impacted crop surgery for the first time. I remember when researching one person said you can reintegrate with the flock when they lay their first egg again. How big is the mass?

We've seen it all connected in a couple of our birds, but the direction of causality is kind of a mystery. For us it looked like stopped laying --> really hard molt --> (funny business in the food/egg tract?) --> impacted crop. We ended up doing crop surgery, and she started laying perfect eggs, but as soon as we put her back out with the flock, her crop got slow again and she only lays occasionally.

We found tube feeding to be a good way to get a bird back in condition.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom