Can medium sized and small parrots live with 10 hens outdoors in the same coop at night?

Let me put it like this: You can put an elevator in an outhouse, but that doesn't mean it belongs there. Yes, you may do anything you want, but that does not mean it's what's best. While someone posted that they know people with both parrots, and chickens, and there's never been a problem, there are a lot more details being left out as to why it's worked. There are those that have not had problems, until they did, especially where illness is concerned. When problems strike, they tend to hit fast, and hard. Parrots belong in an aviary, and chickens belong in a coop.

Let me put it like this: You can put an elevator in an outhouse, but that doesn't mean it belongs there. Yes, you may do anything you want, but that does not mean it's what's best. While someone posted that they know people with both parrots, and chickens, and there's never been a problem, there are a lot more details being left out as to why it's worked. There are those that have not had problems, until they did, especially where illness is concerned. When problems strike, they tend to hit fast, and hard. Parrots belong in an aviary, and chickens belong in a coop.
I'm used to tinkering with stuff to make them work somehow. In bird shops parrots and chickens live near each other in seperate cages. My hens are years old, so any illness they had would've already came and went, but I'm going to ask an aviary vet or two before I decide to get them.

I have not heard of anyone on BYC housing the two together. If you think it'll work then try it and then tell us how it goes.

I wouldn't put parrots in a shed personally, I would keep them in an outdoor aviary thats closed so they couldn't fly away. Parrots are a bit more costly than a chicken and can fly unlike a chicken. Chickens can fly a short distance, but they're mainly land birds. At our rescue zoo they have free range chickens and the parrots are not left out in the open due to their flying capability.

You'd have to think about maintenance and cleanliness as well. Parrots perch high, they'd be pooping all over the chickens that perch low. You would have to clip the parrots wings so they don't fly off out of the shed.

I have not heard of anyone on BYC housing the two together. If you think it'll work then try it and then tell us how it goes.

I wouldn't put parrots in a shed personally, I would keep them in an outdoor aviary thats closed so they couldn't fly away. Parrots are a bit more costly than a chicken and can fly unlike a chicken. Chickens can fly a short distance, but they're mainly land birds. At our rescue zoo they have free range chickens and the parrots are not left out in the open due to their flying capability.

You'd have to think about maintenance and cleanliness as well. Parrots perch high, they'd be pooping all over the chickens that perch low. You would have to clip the parrots wings so they don't fly off out of the shed.
Will the shed be ok if it has some windows open and a HEPA air filter? I think the shed is tall enough to keep them perched high away from the hens, and has enough space to keep their poop from falling where they sleep. I don't think I have to clip their wings because the run and the coop are securely netted. I also want to free fly train them so I can remove the nets someday.

Here's how the run is steel mesh netted, but I will fill it with trees and toys.

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 4.02.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 3.46.54 PM.png

I have had parrots (African gray,conures) and I have chickens. I would never house them together they have drastically different needs. Poultry need dry environment were parrots are tropical and need a moist environment, eat different foods, parrots need a closely monitored varied diet to thrive and chickens are carriers of diseases that most cage species have never had contact with let alone have built up immunity too. Parrots also have very delicate respiratory symptoms I don’t think the could handle the dust of a chicken coop.

I have had parrots (African gray,conures) and I have chickens. I would never house them together they have drastically different needs. Poultry need dry environment were parrots are tropical and need a moist environment, eat different foods, parrots need a closely monitored varied diet to thrive and chickens are carriers of diseases that most cage species have never had contact with let alone have built up immunity too. Parrots also have very delicate respiratory symptoms I don’t think the could handle the dust of a chicken coop.
This is correct.

The parrots will suffer in this scenario. It makes me sad to think of it.

I’m fairly certain that parrots, being predators, would kill the chickens. My parents keep both in side by side enclosures in the summer. Then they bring the parrots inside for the winter. You can see some videos of the enclosures here.

Back
Top Bottom