Austinms

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2022
Hello Flock,

I have four 9-month-old Buff Orpingtons. They live in a small prefabricated coop (rated for four chickens but I doubt these claims) but free-range all day. I believe it is 2x2 with two roosting bars and nesting boxes (not included in the size). I have installed an automatic coop door. They are on a layer feed with 24/7 access to water, grit, and oyster shell. I have been planning on upgrading their coop, as I think it is too small for them. It is just a project that has been on hold. Within the last two months, the chickens have been displaying unusual behaviors, and I would like to solicit some advice. This is my first flock, and while I have done research into these issues, I would really appreciate some tailored advice.

Staying out at night
Situation: The hens prefer to roost on the roof rather than in the coop. For a few weeks, only one hen stayed out. Now it is occasional but still happens. I have not been able to determine a clear pecking order

My suspicions: Is the coop too small? They were fine with it for a long while. Does the colder weather have anything to do with it?

What I've done: I have taken pains to ensure the coop stays pristinely clean. I have checked and treated for mites (no visible mites found) consistently. I have plans to build a bigger coop. I have made sure that the door isn't closing before they have the opportunity to go inside.

Laying outside of the coop
Situation: A few weeks ago, every single hen started laying outside the coop. We have a wildflower meadow in our backyard, so finding the eggs has been a huge challenge. Since I found the first stash (a pile of 15 eggs, ha!), I have not found any more. So I don't even know if they are laying (as of two weeks)!

Suspicions: Is it again a problem with coop size? Is it a habit that just happened one day and now carries on?

What I've done: Put two dummy eggs total in the two nesting boxes. I consistently take eggs as they are laid throughout the day and have never let them build up. I've kept them in a small enclosed run for a little longer each morning. I've "destroyed" nests in the wilderness after discovering the first egg stash.

Scraggly looking
Situation: My usually fat, beautiful girls are looking a bit thin and scruffy. There are many feathers on my property. This concerns me in tandem with the other odd behaviors, but I'm probably overreacting. I can't find any more eggs (could be my searching, could be that they are not laying).

Suspicions: Is this a molt? I thought they were a little young for that.

What I've done: Nothing special, just making sure they have clean food, water, etc. I've inspected their bodies too.

It hurts my heart to think the ladies are unhappy. Is my solution just to build a bigger coop? What other solutions can I implement? Once I build the new coop, how do I break them of the habit of staying outside and laying eggs in the wilderness? Do you think something is stressing them out? I've never seen evidence of predators or even mice, but they can see my cats through the window. I have a dog but he is not often around them nowadays.

Thank you for your time and wisdom!

Hi there.
Roosting on the roof is from the instinct to roost as high as possible, most prefab don't have high roosts or room for high roosts. Raise the roosting bars if possible. A small timed light might also help them to go in. Chickens are like moths.
Laying outside might be from the nests being occupied with other girls or chickens just being finicky. You can keep them locked in their coop until they lay. Or add fake eggs to the nest.
I have 8 month old hen that appears to be molting a bit but you may want to switch to gamebird layer, flock raiser or unmedicated chick feed, regular layer is woefully low in protein which they need for their bodies, feathers and eggs.
Eventually, you'll probably want to build a bigger coop because prefab aren't really great at what they claim to do.

Hi there.
Roosting on the roof is from the instinct to roost as high as possible, most prefab don't have high roosts or room for high roosts. Raise the roosting bars if possible. A small timed light might also help them to go in. Chickens are like moths.
Laying outside might be from the nests being occupied with other girls or chickens just being finicky. You can keep them locked in their coop until they lay. Or add fake eggs to the nest.
I have 8 month old hen that appears to be molting a bit but you may want to switch to gamebird layer, flock raiser or unmedicated chick feed, regular layer is woefully low in protein which they need for their bodies, feathers and eggs.
Eventually, you'll probably want to build a bigger coop because prefab aren't really great at what they claim to do.
Thank you very much for your input. I will implement all of your suggestions. Thankfully I have a free block of time next week, and I plan to use it for coop-building. Your roosting bar height comment makes perfect sense to me; even though the bars are technically high off the ground, they are at the bottom of the coop.

I will have to wait for a lock-in, as I really think the coop is too cramped to do so compassionately. I wouldn't even be able to fit their food and water as it stands now. I will update after my build!

Thank you very much for your input. I will implement all of your suggestions. Thankfully I have a free block of time next week, and I plan to use it for coop-building. Your roosting bar height comment makes perfect sense to me; even though the bars are technically high off the ground, they are at the bottom of the coop.

I will have to wait for a lock-in, as I really think the coop is too cramped to do so compassionately. I wouldn't even be able to fit their food and water as it stands now. I will update after my build!
There a lots of coop plans in the articles section, if you're looking for some. On mobile, it's the icon that looks like a page at the top of page.

Welcome to BYC. Where are you located? Climate matters. :)

Is the coop too small?

2x2 is only 4 square feet -- room for a single hen. So yes, much too small. It really makes me angry how the makers of prefab coops trick new chicken owners who don't know any better. :(

If you show us photos of your coop and run we can help you work things out. :)

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
4 hens
  • 16 square feet in the coop. 4'x4' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber.
  • 4 feet of roost
  • 40 square feet in the run. 4'x10' or 5'x8'. 6'x6' is a bit too small, 6'x8' is more generous and easier to build than 5'x8'.
  • 4 square feet of ventilation. A 2'x2' window is theoretically enough, but in practice doesn't create any air FLOW so better to spread the venting around (and even better to exceed the minimums, especially in warm climates).
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
This coop was specifically designed to meet all the minimums for a flock of 4: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/

And here are some other small coops to help inspire you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/dallas-urban-coop-single-slope-design.72422/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/yakisugi-coop.76398/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coreys-coop-de-doop.55619/

Is this a molt?

It would be unlikely for birds this age to have a significant molt, but not impossible. You said that they stopped laying, which is probably because of the short days, so they *might* molt.

They're likely sleeping on top of the coop because it's simply too small - 4 sq ft is enough room for a single bird to be able to move around freely and flap a bit without bumping into things.

Hens allowed to free range can develop the habit of laying in sites of their own choosing. Since you cannot possibly lock them in the coop, locking them in a confined run area until they re-learn to lay eggs in the nest box can help.

Welcome to BYC. Where are you located? Climate matters. :)

2x2 is only 4 square feet -- room for a single hen. So yes, much too small. It really makes me angry how the makers of prefab coops trick new chicken owners who don't know any better. :(

If you show us photos of your coop and run we can help you work things out. :)

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
4 hens
  • 16 square feet in the coop. 4'x4' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber.
  • 4 feet of roost
  • 40 square feet in the run. 4'x10' or 5'x8'. 6'x6' is a bit too small, 6'x8' is more generous and easier to build than 5'x8'.
  • 4 square feet of ventilation. A 2'x2' window is theoretically enough, but in practice doesn't create any air FLOW so better to spread the venting around (and even better to exceed the minimums, especially in warm climates).
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
This coop was specifically designed to meet all the minimums for a flock of 4: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/

And here are some other small coops to help inspire you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/dallas-urban-coop-single-slope-design.72422/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/yakisugi-coop.76398/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coreys-coop-de-doop.55619/

It would be unlikely for birds this age to have a significant molt, but not impossible. You said that they stopped laying, which is probably because of the short days, so they *might* molt.
I am in Eastern NC!

They're likely sleeping on top of the coop because it's simply too small - 4 sq ft is enough room for a single bird to be able to move around freely and flap a bit without bumping into things.

Hens allowed to free range can develop the habit of laying in sites of their own choosing. Since you cannot possibly lock them in the coop, locking them in a confined run area until they re-learn to lay eggs in the nest box can help.
Thank you!

That's good news because you don't need as solid a coop as someone who can expect snow and bitter weather.

Here's my article on hot climate chicken keeping: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

If you can show us some photos of your entire setup we can help you get it all sorted out.
Wow, that is so generous of you! Also--great article! I have attached photos (including of the feathers all over). I will check them again for pests this weekend, and I have seen no bullying.

I live in a suburban neighborhood with spacious, fenced-in space. I have filled 2/3 of the yard with a wildflower meadow. Next week, I am going to mow down the meadow for its twice-yearly haircut. Hopefully, I don't find any eggs!

Here's my situation and my procrastination excuse: I am very short on money right now and there is the possibility I will move within a year (taking the ladies with me!). I won't be able to build my dream $1,000+ fortress with run that I've dreamed of, but I think anything is better than what they have now. I want to expand the flock, but since I might be moving I am putting it off, though I am unsure if I should plan for additions with what I build.

I have three goals:
- A coop that is spacious and easy to clean for the ladies
- A coop/updated run that is as inexpensive as possible
- A covered run where I could leave them for a few days unattended, as by necessity, I am away a lot and currently pay a twice-daily chicken sitter (I've had issues with my automatic door) when I am away. I fixed the door this morning! :rolleyes:

The good news is, I am handy and somewhat experienced in building/woodwork. I also have a fair amount of wood from a job-build I just finished and tons of hardware cloth.

I have not had issues with predators so far (my dog, ample cover, and the suburban setting probably help) but I know the day will come when I won't be so lucky. I'd like to have a secure run where they can be safe and comfortable for longer stretches of time.

The photos show the pre-fab coop, which I move around the yard. The photo with the markings show the view of my triangle-shaped yard. Where that brush is where the meadow begins. The red shows an area of the yard that floods. The blue square is where an old playground was before we moved in. The earth is sandy and the wood tracks that border it will never come up by hand. They are in there! There are currently some raised beds in that area. That is where I was thinking of putting the coop, as it is the safest spot from flooding.

Yours truly,
Madeleine

Attachments

• coop.jpg
    coop.jpg
    1,018.4 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20221208_213447334.jpg
    PXL_20221208_213447334.jpg
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20221208_213514180.jpg
    PXL_20221208_213514180.jpg
    645.6 KB · Views: 7