Can molt effect egg size?

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
I have 9 laying hens. Most are in their first year, and are going through some stage of molt. I've had one who completely stopped laying, and finally started back up after a couple months. I've had others who slow down, laying only a couple per week.

But over the last couple of days, I've found some pretty small eggs. Maybe half or 2/3 regular size. Unfortunately, I didn't see who laid them. I also have a couple hens at point of lay, but I don't think any of the eggs are theirs. Can molt make their eggs smaller instead of stopping laying? What other things can turn a layer's eggs smaller?

If you switch from feeding laying mash to hen scratch,
the eggs will become smaller and fewer. This also puts
them into a moult. Moulting puts lots of strees on a
chickens body, same as changing feed. Many will quit
laying entirely.

I am glad you pointed this out. I have 2 girls who went through a lite moult and I thought their eggs had gotten bigger. DH said I was crazy but seems I was right afterall!

Quote:
No problem. Always love pointing out when a husband is wrong.
lau.gif

I'm almost positive it isn't the new layers, but I guess you could be right.

Now, I know that egg size can increase after a molt, but during? Why wouldn't the extra protein going towards feather growth take away from the size of the egg?

Mine molted this year (about 18 months after hatching) and they layed smaller eggs (easily 1/2 to 2/3 size) for several weeks after. Now they are back to normal size.

I'm almost positive it isn't the new layers, but I guess you could be right.

Now, I know that egg size can increase after a molt, but during? Why wouldn't the extra protein going towards feather growth take away from the size of the egg?

Hens usually do not lay eggs while molting. So the eggs would get bigger after they are done molting.

I suppose it could be a fluke - just a smaller egg for a short time. Are they pullet sized eggs?

Last edited:
No, I'd say they were slightly larger than pullet eggs. And I always seem to get a "pullet bullet" all skinny and stuff. These were well formed eggs, just smaller than normal.

I have a couple of hens that were positively laying during molt, but instead of stopping, they slowed down. Instead of laying 5 days in a row, they'd lay 2, so more break days every week. But this is the first time I've seen any smaller, and didn't see who laid them.

I definitely think moulting affects egg size and makes them smaller temporarily. I have raised four flocks of chickens and now have girls in their third season and they can be very unpredictable. We got an egg today that was extremely small. I will try to post a pic so you can see! It's crazy! But I feel confident they will get back to normal!

Back
Top Bottom