Can my week old chicks go on wood shavings?

BabiesNChicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 1, 2014
NSW Australia
Hi everyone, my chicks have been on rice husks for the last week which work really great but I can't find any shops around here that stock them and after 5 days without a cage clean I need to do something quickly. I have wood shavings and I've been too scared to use them... But my chickens are on unmedicated feed and maybe the cons of unhygienic living conditions outweigh the cons of wood shavings? Please help, I am desperate to clean the brooder for them! Thanks!

What kind of wood shavings? Pine shavings should be safe with adequate ventilation.

Read the label. Chicken folk usually avoid cedar shavings as the cedar aroma can overwhelm tiny lungs and cause respiratory issues.

Many many people use wood shavings with absolutely no problems. Other than the risks from cedar shavings I don’t know what the supposed “cons” are. What is your concern so maybe we can address those?

Whether you use medicated or unmedicated feed, a wet dirty brooder is a dangerous brooder. A dirty brooder can kill chicks no matter what feed you give them. If it is wet, it can also cause problems with their feet.

Chicks need clean water. Chicks need a dry brooder. You don’t have to change bedding every day as long as the brooder stays dry. But it is real easy for poop to build up enough to stay damp, and that gives microbes a good place to grow and cause problems. That could be the health of your chicks or an obnoxious smell for you which is also obnoxious to the chicks.

I use pine shavings from day one.

Please don't buy them from a pet store--that just makes the frugal part of me cringe. They'll sell you like 1 cubic foot for $7 or something like that. Go to a feed store and get a big bale of shavings like for horse stalls. 9 or 11 cubic feet depending, for around $10-12. It may seem like too much shavings, but you'll use them in the coop later and save a ton of $$.

I use pine shavings from day one.

Please don't buy them from a pet store--that just makes the frugal part of me cringe. They'll sell you like 1 cubic foot for $7 or something like that. Go to a feed store and get a big bale of shavings like for horse stalls. 9 or 11 cubic feet depending, for around $10-12. It may seem like too much shavings, but you'll use them in the coop later and save a ton of $$.
I think I only pay $6.99 or $7.99 for asn 8 cubic foot bale at TSC. Definitely a waste of money to buy those little bags. Make sure they are pine though and not cedar. Cedar isn't good for any small animal.

I think I only pay $6.99 or $7.99 for asn 8 cubic foot bale at TSC. Definitely a waste of money to buy those little bags. Make sure they are pine though and not cedar. Cedar isn't good for any small animal.
I agree. Also make sure you get the white bale of hardwood shavings which should smell like fresh sawdust.
The yellow bale is softwood shavings and smells like turpentine, you don't want that one.
Best,
Karen

I agree. Also make sure you get the white bale of hardwood shavings which should smell like fresh sawdust.
The yellow bale is softwood shavings and smells like turpentine, you don't want that one.
Best,
Karen
Most shavings in the US farm stores are pine(soft wood) shavings, which are usually kiln dried and fine for bedding.
Ash(hard wood) shavings are available as reptile and small animal bedding but are more expensive.
Cedar shavings are not good because of the pungent oils being bad for any small animal.

My TSC has 8 cubic foot bales of large flake pine for about $5. I like the large flake shavings better than the smaller shavings.

ETA: That said, I used fine, washed, kiln dried sand with some PDZ mixed in in my chick brooder, easy peasy to scoop out the poops...keeps it smelling better inside the house. Put their food and water on a tote top for the first week until they get the hang of it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom