Can not believe what happened tonight

Rabies was my first thought after it was all over. I got some calls in and I am waiting for call backs. There wasn't any foaming and they were bright eye and looked healthy but you just never know. Thanks for the support on this

Hwerner, I am so sorry that your chicken had to suffer like that but glad she is ok. You did the right thing.

MY GOSH!!
ep.gif
I am completely freaked out by all these coon stories you guys keep posting on here! I have never been exposed to one except as a rather nice pelt, or as road kill, or as a soon to be pelt at the end of my rifle, and I guess I was just dang lucky that where I grew up, they were kinda rare, and up here, they are even rarer!
I would seriously be thinking RABIES though, and that would scare me worse than anything. Jeesh, I thought grandaddy longlegs were a reason to stay out of the more temperate climates. A friend of my ex's did have a juvenile bear sitck its head through her doggy door the other night though, but DANG! Attack coons gives me the shivers just thinking about it.
Glad you are safe, and good for you for getting trained.

The fact of WHEN they were out would scare me more than the behavior. Behavior combined with it would totally have me freaking.

I guess I should mention that I know coons and baby coons as my brothers raised them when the moms were killed and I have taken care of them for him. This was not play, they were serious as all get out. I have never seen this behavior in any wild life. They could of gotten away many times and would just keep coming at us, in the heat of the moment I really didn't think too much about it, but after my friend and her son came and we all calmed down and started to talk about it neither her or I could believe their behavior. We both thought early rabies, or that someone was raising these babies and teasing them very bad so they became aggressive. These babies were very round and healthy not starving at all. Both me and my son were making alot of noise and had 2 dogs with us and the yard is marked by the boxer on a daily run, how many wild animals do you know, babies or not ,that will come within 10 feet of loud people and go after them.

I absolutely agree with how it was handled.
I would've disposed with them the same way.

Good thing you did, and good thing they didn't bite you, they sound like they were rabid...

I would be thinking rabies also. Did anyone you , your friend or your dogs touch them at all because you don't have to be bitten to be exposed just touching their fur could do it.

I know I have had to get the rabies series before ,not fun but much better than the alternative.

The fact that they were out in the daytime is worrying me.

If you need to handle the carcasses use gloves.

Good luck to you, glad your all safe And glad to hear your going to the range.

We used gloves to remove them actually the boys did. I made sure they had leather gloves on, and had them burn the bodies, as that is what the DNR said to do.

Again thanks all for the support and the help

Last edited:
While visiting a friend in Seattle a small racoon came in thru the open sliding door to the deck. I was sitting right there at the computer. Looked down at the racoon as he looked up at me! My heart started racing, and luckily he took off as fast as he could back out the door. I jumped up and shut the door! I think this is a more "normal" encounter, and sounds like these 3 were rabid. I do know it is getting more common for them to be out in daylight hours. Not sure why though.

Back
Top Bottom