Can not believe what happened tonight

Rabies is 100% fatal once symptoms occur. It can be transmitted by saliva getting onto scraped or cut skin. You have to report this to animal control and get the raccoons tested. And you need to talk to your own doctor and the dogs' vet tomorrow.

I have never heard of a healthy raccoon confronting humans like that.

These were well fed, clean, well groomed, clear eyed, coons. I know we were too close to them. I really believe that they were either raised by someone who was teasing them or was starting to show rabies. I really think it might of been someone raising them and being mean to them, as they were in just too good of shape.

I am just glad it is over and that everyone is fine.

I wonder if maybe the dogs got too close to the coon's young family, and they were just protecting them? Doesn't sound like rabies is a player here, but a ticked off momma... yeah.

When I lived in No. Seattle, I had a very robust coon come in the cat-door in the back of the house. I came into the room where the food bowls were, and there he was, calmly eating the cat food. He had even used the water bowl to wash his hands...er, paws, before eating.
lol.png
I scared him so bad, he went back out the door, but he was so big that he ripped the cat-door off the door!!!

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

I wonder if maybe the dogs got too close to the coon's young family, and they were just protecting them? Doesn't sound like rabies is a player here, but a ticked off momma... yeah.

She stated that they were young coons without a mother with them.​

Quote:
She stated that they were young coons without a mother with them.

Whups... sorry... missed that part. I hate it when I do that!
lol.png

Hmmmm... well, now I'm stumped.
hu.gif

Quote:
I agree 100%

If it were rabies they wouldn't have been together, they would have tried to kill each other as well as anything else they came across, they wouldn't have had the abilty to make a concerted attack, but I would still treat the bodies as if they had rabies, erring on the side of caution.

I also would have dispatched them.

The time of day really has nothing to do with it, coons will hunt at noon if they are hungry.

Back
Top Bottom