Can one tame an adult wild turkey? (Female)

wonderlandfly

Chirping
Aug 29, 2023
I have two domesticated pet turkeys and today I found a wild injured turkey (they at have a bad limp) and put them in a dog carrier in my general turkey run.
More on the wild turkey: It looks like her flock abandoned her and she is very skinny. I have doubts that a predator won’t just eat her if I set her loose as she is also limping .

Is there any way to tame a full grown wild female turkey? I think she is cute (though she is hissing at me right now)
but it would be nice to have her stay with my other two pet turkey girls
Thank you

I have two domesticated pet turkeys and today I found a wild injured turkey (they at have a bad limp) and put them in a dog carrier in my general turkey run.
More on the wild turkey: It looks like her flock abandoned her and she is very skinny. I have doubts that a predator won’t just eat her if I set her loose as she is also limping .

Is there any way to tame a full grown wild female turkey? I think she is cute (though she is hissing at me right now)
Thank you
Possibly. At one time they were all wild and someone domesticated some.

Thank you
Contact your local game warden or DNR agent and turn the turkey over to them. It is illegal to have possession of a live wild turkey.

Forget all about wanting to keep it as a pet.

I don't think it is wild. It is nearly impossible to grab a wild turkey by hand, even one that has a broken leg.
It isn't as hard to catch a wild turkey as you seem to think it is. Depending on the area some of them are very used to people. A friend recently sent me some short videos of her local wild turkeys coming right up to her sliding doors looking for handouts.

You can search the Internet for videos of wild turkeys coming right up to people in urban areas.

It isn't as hard to catch a wild turkey as you seem to think it is. Depending on the area some of them are very used to people. A friend recently sent me some short videos of her local wild turkeys coming right up to her sliding doors looking for handouts.

You can search the Internet for videos of wild turkeys coming right up to people in urban areas.
Grabbing a turkey is a lot harder than hand-feeding one. Why would turkey hunters bother with shotguns and blinds if they can just go to an urban area and pick one up.

I agree with @townchicks take it to a rehabber. If it is actually wild, it is probably mortally wounded. wild turkeys don't sit calmly in a dog cage, they usually freak out and refuse to eat or drink.

Because it is the law that determines how you are allowed to legally take a turkey. Baiting is prohibited (in most states) and the legal weapon of choice is also designated. It is illegal to take them alive.
I find it hard to believe that laws are the only thing stopping people from harvesting wild turkeys with there bare hands, but, you are the expert.

Back
Top Bottom