Can someone PLEASE Help me ASAP?? :(

So sorry for your situation..... Chicks are easier to put down then adults....but not emotionaly. What I do when a chick is suffering....I lay the.chick out in a paper towel..making sure the.neck is stretched out. I then fold the towel over. I place the chick in towel close to the fold...then in a plastic bag and then with scissors placed where the neck is...I make one quick snip and place the chick down in the bag. Their may be a little movement in some chicks.....but the chick has past. no one likes doing it...no one is prepared to do it...but if you have animals. ..as their keeper..it is your job to keep them from suffering. I feel bad each time....but I know.they are suffering and I am stopping their.pain.

Is that truely a non painful method? "suffocating it?" When I think of that I think of struggle, pain, just trying to get air and can't..

Certainly never would I suggest suffocation -- but by asphyxiation. Hugely different ... there is absolutely no pain, as the bird simply goes to sleep. There is no struggle, no effort to get air, as they system quietly shuts down. Nothing more than the involuntary twitching that occurs when life has ended.

I am no fan of the PETA organization, in that they've pushed the pendulum entirely too far, and it's intended purpose into the past. However, even they are encouraging the use of this method over any other. I have seen no credible information from any reliable source to contradict the belief that asphyxiation is the most humane method. In fact, the only resistance I've seen is by the processing facilities through the PR/lobbying efforts of the National Chicken Council (NCC), which is sorta like asking R. J. Reynolds International if smoking is good for the children they sell their cigarettes to.

Carbon Dioxide at concentrations of 7.5% is an analgesic, and at 30%-40% it can be used as an anesthetic, causing rapid loss of consciousness without struggling, distress, or excitation.1 At higher than 80% CO2 causes quick death. It is important to first induce an analgesic effect, then bring about deep anesthesia within a minute or two, and before exposing the animal to high concentrations, so as to cause absolutely no discomfort.

1 when using vinegar and baking soda to produce the required CO2, a small amount of vinegar could be placed w/in the container so they may become accustomed to the odor, and the 'fizzing' action makes a noise that might frighten some animals, but they would otherwise be entirely unaware of this process.

Certainly never would I suggest suffocation -- but by asphyxiation. Hugely different ... there is absolutely no pain, as the bird simply goes to sleep. There is no struggle, no effort to get air, as they system quietly shuts down. Nothing more than the involuntary twitching that occurs when life has ended.

I am no fan of the PETA organization, in that they've pushed the pendulum entirely too far, and it's intended purpose into the past. However, even they are encouraging the use of this method over any other. I have seen no credible information from any reliable source to contradict the belief that asphyxiation is the most humane method. In fact, the only resistance I've seen is by the processing facilities through the PR/lobbying efforts of the National Chicken Council (NCC), which is sorta like asking R. J. Reynolds International if smoking is good for the children they sell their cigarettes to.

Carbon Dioxide at concentrations of 7.5% is an analgesic, and at 30%-40% it can be used as an anesthetic, causing rapid loss of consciousness without struggling, distress, or excitation.1 At higher than 80% CO2 causes quick death. It is important to first induce an analgesic effect, then bring about deep anesthesia within a minute or two, and before exposing the animal to high concentrations, so as to cause absolutely no discomfort.

1 when using vinegar and baking soda to produce the required CO2, a small amount of vinegar could be placed w/in the container so they may become accustomed to the odor, and the 'fizzing' action makes a noise that might frighten some animals, but they would otherwise be entirely unaware of this process.
Ok, so how would i go about that method?

I have used dry ice to put down a hen that was very sick. Dry ice emits carbon dioxide. You can get it at any place that sells oxygen for medical purposes. You put some in a container, pour warm water over it, and place it in another container holding the chick. The CO is heavy, so leave the lid on (the larger container holding the chick) but not tightly. It doesn't take very long. So sorry to hear about your chick.

I'd go to your vet... only once have we had to cull a bird immediatly and we broke her kneck because she was herniating....I cant imagine suffocation everybody has felt how it feels to not beable to breath.. its terrifying.....

I have used dry ice to put down a hen that was very sick. Dry ice emits carbon dioxide. You can get it at any place that sells oxygen for medical purposes. You put some in a container, pour warm water over it, and place it in another container holding the chick. The CO is heavy, so leave the lid on (the larger container holding the chick) but not tightly. It doesn't take very long. So sorry to hear about your chick.
Thank you

Two thoughts to pass on.

#1. A vet told me years ago that animals and birds do not feel pain the way that we feel pain. He said that they could not exist in the wild if they felt pain like we do. While we have no idea what they're feeling, you'll sometimes notice that an animal can withstand an injury that would have us writhing. This conversation came about when my dog returned home with a horrific injury yet was showing no symptoms other than a huge gash and a limp that required surgery to repair a sliced tendon.

#2. This thread is now over 15 hours old. 15 hours has passed while the humanity of one method of culling vs. another method has been discussed and the chicken has been in pain the entire time. I agree that we wish to cause as little pain and distress as possible when we cull but remember that we're talking about seconds of pain vs. the hours the chicken has been in distress during the conversation.

Just my observations.

Two thoughts to pass on.

#1. A vet told me years ago that animals and birds do not feel pain the way that we feel pain. He said that they could not exist in the wild if they felt pain like we do. While we have no idea what they're feeling, you'll sometimes notice that an animal can withstand an injury that would have us writhing. This conversation came about when my dog returned home with a horrific injury yet was showing no symptoms other than a huge gash and a limp that required surgery to repair a sliced tendon.

#2. This thread is now over 15 hours old. 15 hours has passed while the humanity of one method of culling vs. another method has been discussed and the chicken has been in pain the entire time. I agree that we wish to cause as little pain and distress as possible when we cull but remember that we're talking about seconds of pain vs. the hours the chicken has been in distress during the conversation.

Just my observations.
You'r right, but I'm also going to find a respectufl way to do it, not smash it's head in or cut off it's head (no offence to others who use this method), but that method is not for me.. There are others correct, but our vet doesn't open till tomarrow so we are going to call them and see what they say and see if they can take it and have it humanely euthanised. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom