Can someone please help me identify the breed? I'm still new at this

30 hens? no way. The reason I said that is not ecause of fertilisation but 1 rooster can only protect and feed that many usually. Smaller chucks are more active and so can watch over more hens. 1 of my roos fertilises about 22 hens but 30 is crazy.

Well I have the proof sitting in the coop.

Many people have large flocks of hens with no rooster, hens can think for themselves and don't need a rooster to feed them or watch the sky for them. A rooster is not a requirement but an extra set of eyes on the sky is nice.

My roosters will always attack cats and dogs while the hens run away. I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HAWKS AS I LIVE IN IN ENGLAND. sorry for the capitals.

30 hens? no way. The reason I said that is not ecause of fertilisation but 1 rooster can only protect and feed that many usually. Smaller chucks are more active and so can watch over more hens. 1 of my roos fertilises about 22 hens but 30 is crazy.
Ever rooster is different. Many people on this site say 10 is the golden number. NONE of my rooster have 10 hens. The must is 4. I usually like to have 5 or 6 for each rooster, but no bald spots. In spring things will change as breeding pens are set up.

Well I have the proof sitting in the coop.

Many people have large flocks of hens with no rooster, hens can think for themselves and don't need a rooster to feed them or watch the sky for them. A rooster is not a requirement but an extra set of eyes on the sky is nice.
I had multiple hawk attacks. The rooster I had, didn't care about anyone but himself. He was an ungrateful little thing, mean too. Didn't even protect his favorite hen. The aren't always the best "gaurdians" .

That is why I "breed the best and eat the rest"
wink.png
. Lazy roosters taste pretty darn good in the crock pot.

You might not want to leave the rooster with the hen the whole time until you get more hens because the rooster could scrape up her back. Here are some pics of my gold sex link, or atleast i know for sure he is some kind of sex link.

I think that adding hens would be great for both of them. your young Roo would be thrilled with more "ladies" and since she was first she should be the alpha of the group. Chickens and ducks love to be a "flock"! They seem to think the more the merrier. If you get young pullets make sure they are old enough to not get picked on by your first two. Young birds readily accept each other but after they've started laying they want peers that are 4 or 5 months old. Birds older than 1 or 2 seem to pick on someone else's young fluffy bitties. So keep your eyes on everyone for the first day or two but try to add others when they are fully feathered that seems to save trouble. Hope that helps. We just have 11 and we love watching the "politics" involved in being part of the flock! We still love our favorites though!!!!!
Like Gladys and her sister, who are Always together!

Back
Top Bottom