Can someone tell me, how long DO quail live for?

eggsrcool

Sussex Fanatic
10 Years
May 18, 2009
England, United Kingdom
I have been searching everywhere, but I can't find an answer which everyone agrees on. Some say 2 years others say 7. I'm talking about Coturnix in captivity by the way, lol. Thank you for any answers
wink.png

I lost 5 females under a year old, and just lost a rooster. But I'm pretty sure it has to do with my ratios, which I know are low.

What I THINK is happening is that the hens are being too stressed by over breeding etc. And overly aggressive roosters.

The rooster I just lost had been beaten up for the second time.

I am trying to boost my hen numbers. And will be changing my roo system. Hopefully for better results.
Hens can literally be bred to death. You might give them more room to escape and hide to do what quail naturally do. 4 or 5 square foot per bird. Add fake or natural branches for hiding and cover, over turned flowers pots with a mouse hole cut in to isolate, if you do not use bedding you might start and use grass hay or shavings. Basically just give them a more natural environment.

Always Heard Upwards Of 7. I Have An Old Maid Here--- Just Turned 6 Last Month Shes Doing Just Fine, And Our Are Kept Under Lights.... Which Btw, Doesnt Cut There Life Span Any, Just Burns Them Out On Laying---- You're Only Born With So Many Eggs.....

I Dont Think She's Laid More Than 3-5 Eggs This Year= Total... But She's A Sweet Old Gal So We Leave Her Be. And Every Once In A While She Surprises Us With An Occaisional Egg. -- They're Still Fertile Too!

I lost 5 females under a year old, and just lost a rooster. But I'm pretty sure it has to do with my ratios, which I know are low.

What I THINK is happening is that the hens are being too stressed by over breeding etc. And overly aggressive roosters.

The rooster I just lost had been beaten up for the second time.

I am trying to boost my hen numbers. And will be changing my roo system. Hopefully for better results.

Yyeah,
Hens can literally be bred to death. You might give them more room to escape and hide to do what quail naturally do. 4 or 5 square foot per bird. Add fake or natural branches for hiding and cover, over turned flowers pots with a mouse hole cut in to isolate, if you do not use bedding you might start and use grass hay or shavings. Basically just give them a more natural environment.
I'm working on that. They definitely have more space than 4-5/sqf. For a while though, there were only 2-3 hens per roo, which I know is low. I'm switching it up.

This is my first year with birds, so I am learning lots still.

I recommend keeping males away from the females unless you need fertile eggs. Even at the recommended one roo per five hens the males beat them up. Hens are so much happier and healthier with no roos.

mine last for about a year.... but that is with the lights on 24/7
smile.png
Extra roos are culled and cooked as soon as they are of size

if you are letting them get light naturally and let them cool off between laying season I've heard 3-7 years.

I too have heard 3-5 years, but as Boyd said, if you keep a light on them (essentially forcing them to lay during the winter) this decreases their life expectancy a lot.

Back
Top Bottom