can the chickens eat bread?

Tracy and the Girls

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 27, 2010
We were making eggs with our chickens eggs this morning and we have a piece of bread left over and we want to know if the chickens can eat it?

thx,

Tracy and Teddy

Mine go bonkers for bread!!! Absolutely crazy!!!
tongue.png
lol.png

As soon as they see me coming they can spot whether I have a piece in my hand or not.

Sometimes if I have a loaf that hasn't been pre-sliced I'll take a big chunk of it and hang it down from the ceiling of their coop with twine and leave it just high enough off the ground that they have to work at it to get a piece of it. They seem to love the challenge of trying to get it down and it keeps their time occupied, especially those days in the Winter when they can't get out much because of the snow and they start getting contrary with each other.

Back in the mid eighties there was a feed shortage, prices doubled, massive chicken broiler operations were on the radio asking people to come get free chickens. I picked up an 18' long trailer load, standing room only, and fed them out using returned bread from a bakery that would sell you a pickup truck load for $10.00. Those birds fattened up fast enough and we had chicken in the freezer and in family freezers for a long time.

Mine love it in any form--they are my feathered garbage disposals for stale (not moldy) bread...hotdog buns, bagels, wheat...they even got the cinnamon rolls (can't believe my family didn't finish them off) after I scraped all the frosting off...

Before we leave for work, the girls come running to get back into their pen for the day when they see the white bowl coming their way which has bread torn up with warm milk. They say breakfast is the most important meal.
big_smile.png

Mine love bread! However, I try to be careful with all treats to not give them too much of something that is going to throw off the balance of their diet. I have read other postings that bread does not provide much nutritional value for chickens.

And while talking about bread, left over pancakes are even more popular. I used to only cook enough pancaked to feed the family. Then i would dump the extra batter down the drain. Now I cook it all or that there is leftovers. I might even mix up a little batter more than I know our family is going to eat just to make sure I have extra
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom