Can tiny chicks eat an "All Flock" feed?

CrazedCowgirl

Chirping
Jan 17, 2016
Eugene Oregon
I'm still new to chickens and my husband just ordered me 10 new chicks that will be delivered next week. I currently have 5 hens all on Nutrena's Feather Fixer but I throw a handful or two of All Flock out in the yard since I also have a couple ducks.

Question: Will I need to buy chick starter again or can I feed them my All Flock?

I think my husband is getting a little tired of all the chicken feed taking up room in my garage. LOL Between the chicken feed and dog food, we have 5-50 gal garbage cans in the garage that all hold feed or scratch.

All Flock is normally 20% protein with calcium somewhere around 1%, very similar to Chick Starter. Nutritionally it will be fine. If it is in pellet form you might need to crush it to get it to a size they can eat it. A food processor or blender work fine to reduce the size but it might scratch the plastic tub.

I feed Flock Raiser to all my birds, with extra calcium on the side. It's crumble, and fine for all your chickens of any age. EXCEPT if you need to feed your young chicks a medicated chick starter for eight weeks or so to manage coccidiosis. Some places will have a big problem with chick illness/ deaths without amprolium in the chick starter, other places won't. When in doubt, it's safest to give the babies the medicated feed. Mary

I have little Belgian d'Uccle chicks every year, both broody and brooder raised, and they handle the Flock Raiser from day one. No idea about Serama chicks, though. One year I weighed some three day old Belgian d'Uccle chicks; 2 grams each! Mary

Hi.
frow.gif

I'm with everybody here, feed the all flock. Crush a little if you want. To me shipped chicks have a harder time. I would also feed them a boiled smashed egg right away as well as offer electrolytes to help with a speedy recovery.

Feather Fixer is a gimmick, basically it has 2% more protein than Layer, which DOES support feather growth. I suggest feeding all of your birds flock raiser or All Flock with OS on the side. I use Purina Flock Raiser crumbles and all genders and ages seem well.
smile.png

Congrats on your feather babies!
jumpy.gif

I have little Belgian d'Uccle chicks every year, both broody and brooder raised, and they handle the Flock Raiser from day one.  No idea about Serama chicks, though.  One year I weighed some three day old Belgian d'Uccle chicks;  2 grams each!  Mary

I ordered amerucana and large standard surprise chicks today and I feed All Flock crumbles so I think I'll buy a small bag of chick starter to get them going and then mix 50/50 afterwards. Thanks everyone!!

I've heard that offering some yogurt can help new chicks, especially shipped ones, if they look lethargic. The probiotics are good for them.

Your chicks will grow with the all-flock, but the starter has higher protein levels which help promote faster and larger growth.

I've heard that offering some yogurt can help new chicks, especially shipped ones, if they look lethargic. The probiotics are good for them.

Your chicks will grow with the all-flock, but the starter has higher protein levels which help promote faster and larger growth.
Chickens have a hard time digesting lactose, so I'd avoid the yogurt. (I wonder if the whey has lactose in it? I'm guessing not, so that would be a better option.) But that's just me. In lieu of yogurt, you can ferment the chick feed. That gives it a load of probiotics, and makes it easier to digest. Breaks down the "antinutrients" in the grains so they are easier to absorb. A bit of sugar in the water, or home made electrolytes are helpful for hatching or shipping stress. Make your own lytes, save your money for Poultry Nutri-Drench. I consider that product to be a MUST HAVE when dealing with chicks. It gets them off to a super good start.

ETA: Yep, whey is loaded with lactose.

Last edited:
I have 10 wk old chicks in a brooder. They are getting pretty big and want to come out with the girls in that coop. When they come out they do fine. I only keep them separated because they are on chick starter and the girls are on all flock. Can 10 wk old pullets eat all flock with the rest of them and still be fine growth wise and stuff? The attributes are pretty much the same between starter and all flock. I feed Nutrena Nature wise

Back
Top Bottom