Can topical ivermectin be used orally?

RoostersAreAwesome

Enabler
6 Years
May 21, 2017
Hello, I have topical liquid “pour-on” ivermectin, and I was wondering if it could be used orally to treat parasites?

I have chickens and pigeons I’m wanting to treat. I have two bottles of topical ivermectin but no injectable or oral.

Last edited:
Hello, I have topical liquid “pour-on” ivermectin, and I was wondering if it could be used orally to treat parasites?

I have chickens and pigeons I’m wanting to treat. I have two bottles of topical ivermectin but no injectable or oral.

Topical (Pour On) Ivermectin is administered Topically only.

What are you wanting to treat? Mites?

If for worms or lice, then probably it's best to use Permethrin dust for lice and Fenbendazole (Safeguard) or Albendazole (Valbazen) for worms.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites-lice-now-hen-growling.1242981/post-19965544

I’m treating worms, unfortunately fenbendazole is toxic to pigeons
You can try the Ivermectin for deworming the Pigeons, not sure how effective it will be. I know that's what's most commonly used for Pigeons.

Worm Out Gel or Levamisole are other options for the Pigeons.

As for chickens, it seems Ivermectin has reportedly lost it's effectiveness in treatment of worms. It *might* be effective for Roundworms in poultry. You could try and see.

You can try the Ivermectin for deworming the Pigeons, not sure how effective it will be. I know that's what's most commonly used for Pigeons.

Worm Out Gel or Levamisole are other options for the Pigeons.

As for chickens, it seems Ivermectin has reportedly lost it's effectiveness in treatment of worms. It *might* be effective for Roundworms in poultry. You could try and see.
Thank you for this useful info, I can get the other type of ivermectin, it’s just annoying that I have these bottles around I can’t really use (I started to treat mites with permethrin instead in case of feather lice).

For the pigeons, I usually treat worms with Moxi+ (moxidectin + praziquantel), but one seems to have a more persistent case, so I wanted to try ivermectin instead. Good to know that ivermectin is losing its effectiveness in chickens.

Back
Top Bottom