Can we eat a dead hen after a bird dog got her?

BlueMoon

Songster
12 Years
Oct 3, 2007
Scenic Verbank, NY
Our mos beautiful Sumatra hen was killed a few hours ago by a visiting dog. Bird dog with a soft mouth - so she may have had a heart attack or internal damage. But she's in great condition otherwise.

Regardless, can we eat her?

I figure if it were a pheasant killed, it would be a similar situation as far as rigor mortis and blood.

What do you think?

Eat it!
big_smile.png

Sorry about the bird though.
sad.png

I have processed and eaten birds that were killed by a fox, hit by a car, or killed in some other mishap. As long as you process her while still fresh, she should be fine.

The reason for not eating the ones that drop dead for unknown reasons is that they could have a disease, or may have ingested a toxin, that would cause the meat to be harmful if eaten. Obviously being killed by a dog or something won't cause this problem, provided the dog isn't rabid. And usually, they aren't, they just like to kill chickens.
sad.png

If the blood's clotted, you can soak the meat in salt water for a day or two to get the blood out. It works well.

Sorry about your hen, but yes, she can make a fine meal.

Thank you all so much - will let you know how she tastes. Wish I had been more adventuresome when the dual purpose Wyandotte got killed by a different dog.

Back
Top Bottom