Can you feed chickens cooked rice?

Yes. But like corn, its a net nutritional loss for your birds - it lowers the value of their total dietary intake. Significantly. As a treat? Fine.

My personal opinion, which you should feel free to disregard, is that if you have to ask this question, you probably should not be (effectively) making your own feed mix by adulterating whatever feed you purchase with substantial quantities of something else.
Animal feed is best measured by weight, I don't know the size of your flock. I don't know whether you are talking about 1 cup of rice (cooked), or one cup of cooked rice.
The "thumb rule" is that "treats" of whatever sort should not exceed 10% of the daily diet, by weight - and are best rotated among numerous food groups - grains, pulses/legumes, meats, "other" so as to avoid inducing long term dietary imbalance.

1# of rice is generally 2 to 2.5 cups, uncooked. Meaning 1 cup of dry rice is about 6.5-8 oz, and should make about 2 cups prepared rice.
Following the thumb rules, 1 cup (dry) rice is the entire daily treat allotment for 65-80 oz worth of dietary intake. There's another "thumb rule" which suggest an adult production hen will consume about 1/4# (or 4 oz) daily [this is HIGHLY variable - that's why its a "thumb rule", a useful starting point, not a hard and fast, scribed in stone, reliable as gravity sort of thing].

That suggests 1 cup (dry) rice is the entire treat alotment for between 16 and 20 adult hens. and yes, should be cooked before serving.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom