Can you feed chickens steak?

Haha. Hey do they eat slugs? If so can I borrow them when the gardens get planted? I'd love chickens that eat the critters but leave the veggies alone! They can eat all the plums they want under the tree for dessert.

Haha. Hey do they eat slugs? If so can I borrow them when the gardens get planted? I'd love chickens that eat the critters but leave the veggies alone! They can eat all the plums they want under the tree for dessert.

no slugs or snails... Weird chickens, years ago I had a flock that kept us snail free, these ones don't bother...Guess they don't have a refined taste...lol But on the plus side, until the tomatoes and squash start turning they do leave my garden alone.. well except for the bugs :)

I guess they know what they like, can't blame them there. Mine eat slugs and snails, but also any fruit or vegetable too. So I have to bring the critters to the birds instead of letting them in the garden or we would go hungry. They really love "wing night". I should probably feel bad over how much of a chuckle that gives me watching them pick wing bones clean.

I guess they know what they like, can't blame them there. Mine eat slugs and snails, but also any fruit or vegetable too. So I have to bring the critters to the birds instead of letting them in the garden or we would go hungry. They really love "wing night". I should probably feel bad over how much of a chuckle that gives me watching them pick wing bones clean.

here's a chuckle for you. I got a leftover turkey carcass from the neighbors around thanksgiving and threw it in the coop for them to clean up. forgot to mention it to the wife, when she saw it she thought one of the girls died and they ate her all up before we could discover it. LOL! We have a good laugh over that. I'm still finding turkey bones in the run as the snow melts.

OH BOY ! I bet she about had a heart attack lol. I'm trying to imagine if that happened with my wife. I'd probably be laughing too hard to explain. It's amazing how fast everything vanishes with them. Even the bones decompose fast in the coop.

Throwing out the whole bones for them to pick dry is a good idea, I'm going to start doing that.

Yeah I've been throwing out most everything, and they eat most everything. Even if they initially walk away from it, they will probably come back and finish it off later. Some large raw vegetable scrap may get left, but it composts out there anyway.

For some reason though I just can't bring myself to throw them any chicken scraps. Just seems wrong to me.

For some reason though I just can't bring myself to throw them any chicken scraps. Just seems wrong to me.

This teacher of mine told my class a story about her chickens. When her family was eating chicken outside since they had a patio, a chicken just came up, grabbed a piece of chicken off the table, and dragged it away.

Yeah you certainly don't have to force them to eat it haha. They LOVE chicken. It's very funny to watch them go bonkers over it. Some people have a hard time with it. That's understandable. Sometimes large veg chunks take a bit for mine to tear apart too. But they usually get it or if I'm feeling nice I'll chop it a little before I give it to them. I haven't found anything they don't like yet.

That's actually pretty funny.

I might try it sometime with left over bird scraps. They have gone crazy over other kinds of meat, and when I had a bird killed by a hawk the other birds were picking at the carcass.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom