Can you guys tell me the age of my turkeys and chicks?/ when should I start taking them outside without risk of getting sick?

Myah1011

Songster
Jun 26, 2023
its My first time raising chicks in 2 years so I’m a little rusty, and the first time ever raising turkeys, I currently have six chicks and I can’t really tell the age of all of them, they all have wing feathers which I’ll attach photos later, and I was also wondering when I could start taking them all outside without them getting sick or being too little? These are my six chicks, 2 turkeys and 4 chicks. The smaller chick with the stripe down her head and back without the cheeks is my olive Egger with no name yet, the small black chick is my crested cream legbar named socks, the littlest chick when you can’t see her head in the photo is my small Mille de fleur chick named Hummingbird, the yellow/white Turkey is my royal palm Turkey named Dandelion, the other brown Turkey in my chocolate Turkey named (taco aka choco taco) and lastly is my big chick with the fluffy cheeks and the stripe down her head and back is my Easter Egger named walnut, when should I start taking all these guys outside and I can take better photos if these aren’t good enough. When should I start taking them out and what do you think all their ages are. (I didn’t get them all on the same day but pretty close.)

Attachments

• 6BDEC1ED-FD30-45A9-BF3B-0671DE6C7116.jpeg
    6BDEC1ED-FD30-45A9-BF3B-0671DE6C7116.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 3E23F9C5-D637-48B5-8929-DBDFDBD29B78.jpeg
    3E23F9C5-D637-48B5-8929-DBDFDBD29B78.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 3
  • BD9ECB13-8B34-4A53-9858-609ACA319C46.jpeg
    BD9ECB13-8B34-4A53-9858-609ACA319C46.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 2
  • F982FAB1-AB6C-457F-B5F8-E9964CCCC40E.jpeg
    F982FAB1-AB6C-457F-B5F8-E9964CCCC40E.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 5
  • A1DED3EA-8292-4DB7-809B-79791E7283A6.jpeg
    A1DED3EA-8292-4DB7-809B-79791E7283A6.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 3
  • 460E7D32-8B59-44D9-88E3-1C620F61228D.jpeg
    460E7D32-8B59-44D9-88E3-1C620F61228D.jpeg
    423.2 KB · Views: 4
You can kick them out as day olds, as long as they have warmth, unless its summer. They may not need heat.
What are your temperatures?
You want to consider have seperate area for the turkeys, chicken are little typhoid Mary's for turkeys.

Right now we are experiencing a bit of a heat wave so it’s in the 90 to 108 range but it should go down to 90 to 80 next week

Right now we are experiencing a bit of a heat wave so it’s in the 90 to 108 range but it should go down to 90 to 80 next week
I usually move mine outside around 5-7wks- so long as it's not cold at night and they have their feathers:)
Your chicks are all adorable! I would watch the chickens closely with the turkeys though... the chickens (even the chicks) will violently pick on them. I had to move my 2mos old turkey back inside after the our chicks (also 2mos) ripped out a large chunk of the left wing and tail feathers and pecked her poor back raw. Then again, mine weren't raised together from the start. Just keep a close eye on them and enjoy each day!! ;)

My chicks and poults are in an outside pen as soon as they feather in or until the nighttime temps are mid-70's or higher.
You can kick them out as day olds, as long as they have warmth, unless its summer. They may not need heat.
What are your temperatures?
You want to consider have seperate area for the turkeys, chicken are little typhoid Mary's for turkeys.
I've raised chicks and poults together forever; when I incubate, I start the turkey eggs a week earlier than the chicken eggs so they have the same hatch date. The chicks are great role models for the poults.

I also house the turkeys with my main flock. I have both Broad Breasted Whites and heritage turkeys together with a flock of @30+/- laying chickens and two roosters. The only disease that has hit my flock is fowl pox, and the turkeys were the least affected by it. My American Bresses got it the worst, followed by the RIR's. The Ameracaunas had just a few small bumps while the brown leghorns and turkeys didn't seem to be infected at all.

I know that blackhead disease will kill nearly every turkey it infects while chickens can be carriers and are usually unaffected but, so far, our birds have escaped that plight.

I usually move mine outside around 5-7wks- so long as it's not cold at night and they have their feathers:)
Your chicks are all adorable! I would watch the chickens closely with the turkeys though... the chickens (even the chicks) will violently pick on them. I had to move my 2mos old turkey back inside after the our chicks (also 2mos) ripped out a large chunk of the left wing and tail feathers and pecked her poor back raw. Then again, mine weren't raised together from the start. Just keep a close eye on them and enjoy each day!! ;)
So far I haven’t had any type of violence between them yet, probably because the turkeys are pretty bigger then the chicks since sone of the chicks are bantam, I will definitely keep a close eye on them though, your comment is very much appreciated!

My chicks and poults are in an outside pen as soon as they feather in or until the nighttime temps are mid-70's or higher.

I've raised chicks and poults together forever; when I incubate, I start the turkey eggs a week earlier than the chicken eggs so they have the same hatch date. The chicks are great role models for the poults.

I also house the turkeys with my main flock. I have both Broad Breasted Whites and heritage turkeys together with a flock of @30+/- laying chickens and two roosters. The only disease that has hit my flock is fowl pox, and the turkeys were the least affected by it. My American Bresses got it the worst, followed by the RIR's. The Ameracaunas had just a few small bumps while the brown leghorns and turkeys didn't seem to be infected at all.

I know that blackhead disease will kill nearly every turkey it infects while chickens can be carriers and are usually unaffected but, so far, our birds have escaped that plight.
Thank you for the advice and it’s nice to hear about your birds! Hope they don’t get blackhead disease anything soon, so far for my 3 years of chicken raising and now turkeys and some ducks we haven’t been hit with any type of disease yet, mostly just predator deaths, someday I wish to have a flock as big as yours! Best of luck to you and you flock :)

Back
Top Bottom