Can you help me identify my 3 week old chicks?

erinlee

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 11, 2010
Baldwin MI
I ordered 10 chicks from BYC, they are now about 3 1/2 weeks old. These are the chicks that I ordered:

Barred Plymouth Rock
Buff Chantecler
Rhode Island Red
Salmon Faverolle
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Buff Orphington
Dominique
Welsummer
Red Star
Speckled Sussex

The only chick I can positively ID is the Salmon Faverolle as she has feathered feet and five toes
smile.png
I'm new to chickens, so really don't know how to tell them apart LOL. Obviously I've got the black ones narrowed down to one of the 3 black breeds, etc. but that's about as far as I can get. If anyone can help me identify who is who I'd greatly appreciate it! Here are their pictures: (pictures taken during their daily supervised romp outside - I don't have them outside full time yet)

1)
60288_10.jpg

2)
60288_9b.jpg

3)
60288_8.jpg

4)
60288_7.jpg

5)
60288_6b.jpg

6)
60288_5.jpg

7)
60288_4b.jpg

8)
60288_3.jpg

9)
60288_1c.jpg

10)
60288_2.jpg

I know pictures #1 and #2 appear to be the same bird; I'm wondering if I got two of one breed? Here is a picture of both of them together:

60288_img_6478.jpg

1) Barred Rock (straight comb)
2) Dom (pea comb)
3) Buff C
4) SLW
5) RIR
6) Buff Orp
7) Welsummer
8) Speckled Sussex (def a roo)
9) Red Star
10) Salmon Faverolle

big_smile.png

#1 & #2 look like barred rocks (but so can lots of other breeds as chicks).
#3 is NOT the BO since it has yellow legs
#4 is the SLW
#6 is the BO

#9 is the Golden Comet/Red Star

1. BR
2. Dominique
3. buff chantecler
4. SLW
5. RIR
6. BO
7. Welsummer
8. SS
9. red star
10. faverolle

(edited to change BO & chantecler based on leg color)

Last edited:
1 and 2 are your Dominique and Barred Rock (I would guess the barred is #1, but not positive).

# 8 is a speckled sussex

# 9 is your red star

Since I just recently went through this stage with my chicks, I am pretty sure, but my other 2 chicks are a delaware and an australorp, so this is where my "expertise" ends
smile.png

1. Barred Rock- roo (it has a straight comb and lighter coloring, females would be black and white rather than gray)

2. Barred Rock- roo (comb isn't as red, but still lighter colored like a roo. Hard to tell on the comb, but it looks straight, if it's a pea comb, then that is your Dominique)

3. Buff Chantecler-pullet? (it looks to have a straight comb, if it does, then it would be a Buff Rock)

4. Silver Laced Wyandotte- looks a little roo-ish (seems like my pullet didn't get pink for a long time)

5. Rhode Island Red- pullet (even with the big comb, it isn't even pink yet. My girl had a huge comb and was really tall)

6. Buff Orpington- pullet

7. Welsummer- pullet

8. Speckled Sussex?- roo

9. Red Star- pullet

10. Salmon Faverolle- unsure

Cute babies!

Shelly

Wow, you guys are fast!
big_smile.png

Eeek say it isn't so sred98 - possibly 3 or even 4 roos?! I figured the odds were that I'd have 1...but not 3 or 4!

Last edited:
I hope not!
fl.gif
I'm just going on coloration and comb development and coloring. But, depending on conditions when you took the pics, they could be washed out or seem darker than they are. The combs will be the best indicator.

I am 100% on the Speckled Sussex, and about 60% on the Wyandotte and Barred Rock. The Dominique's comb doesn't look as red as the Barred Rock, but they seem to be the same color, so that is why I said it is a boy, too.
hu.gif

Of course, I might be waaay off!
wink.png
Maybe someone else will come along and see things differently.

My Rhode Island Red is named Rudy, because when we got her, she stood so much taller and had a red comb, I had bought her as a rooster. Then, I discovered that they just get a bigger redder comb way earlier than other straight combed birds. She is the goofiest silliest bird I've got. Definitely the clown of the group - Ms. Personality!
yippiechickie.gif

At least your good egglayers seem to be all girls! I think the Barred Rock roos are beautiful birds. Haven't been overly impressed with the egglaying. I prefer roos to hens in that breed.
wink.png

I hope I'm wrong and you get more girls!

They are pretty babies, though!

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom