Can you ID this duckling?

Cajunsamoan

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Louisiana
My sister sent this on her phone. I guess they found it alone, swimming in a mud puddle in a parking lot in downtown Lake Charles.

24061_cid_1.jpg

Thanks!

Have no idea...call the DNR or a local animal rehabber. Wild ducks/geese should be handed over to them to take care of so they can be released.

For some reason it reminds me of a canadian goose. Not sure though.

It's too dark for a canadian, isn't it? Not sure though...I have only seen pictures.

Call a wildlife rehab place. If it is a native species, they will take care of it. If it is an escaped domestic...your sister might have a new friend
big_smile.png

I found this on line, maybe will be helpful? Most of this info is also on here about raising baby ducks.

Precocial Birds - Ducks, Geese, and Others
Precocial birds are born with fuzzy down. They can generally walk and feed shortly after hatching. Several species of precocial birds can not feed on their own, but you're most likely to have found a Mallard or Wood duck or Canada goose, so we'll stay with them as our subject. Even though the birds look like they can stay warm with all that fuzz, they do need to be warmed with supplemental heat! Try using a heat lamp and a feather duster, which provides cover and maybe a bit of a feeling of security. If the bird is wet {many are found stuck in swimming pools} the first thing to do is dry it off. Use paper towels or a light cloth and pat the bird down to soak up most of the water, then place it under a heat lamp to finish drying. DO NOT give the baby any water deep enough to get itself wet in! These birds in the wild tend to go into the water in emergencies only {some ducks are 'born to float' and spend much of their time in the water - but again - we're trying to be safe here!}. In the wild, when the parent 'broods' the young, a waterproofing oil is transferred from the parents feathers to the down of the young. The young will not be able to produce this oil themselves for several weeks. Allowing them to get wet at this early stage can lead to all kinds of complications and may eventually cause them to die. A shallow dish with pebbles and stones in it, filled about half way with water, will let the birds get some water to drink and the rocks will keep them out of the water and dry. These guys can be picky about food, so do try to get them to a rehabilitator quickly. For temporary feeding, try giving them a some of each of the following: Assorted finely shredded vegetables {kale, lettuce, carrots, etc}, turkey / chick starter from a farmers supply company - THE NON-MEDICATED KIND!!, mealworms - Lots of mealworms! {do not use the huge, red-colored trout worms as they are treated with growth hormones}. Try other things, you never know what might interest them. Mix the food with some water to make a moist 'slurry' of food. Ducks and geese will splash their food all over the place, so keep the birds container clean, and their bedding dry.

As cute and cuddly as they look, resist any temptation to handle these birds. Do not let children pet them or carry them around. The huge stress of being handle will often cause them to stop eating all-together. It's best if they are left in a quiet area where they can not see humans or hear loud noises. And of course all pets should be kept away.

Back
Top Bottom