Can you please tell me what I have.

lookingaround

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 21, 2009
I know a Turkey lol.
His mom is the same color as he is blue/reddish with tiny strips and his dad is blue and white. all four grandparents were
bourbon red color/pattern

The dam

The sire below

I was sent a message to take a look at these.
At first glance these reddish birds look similar to my blue red bronze, which are bronze based with a single red and dominate slate gene.But these are a much lighter shade which usually means the presence of a narri gene in them which would lighten up the red. They also should show some black specks in the slate colored areas but I don't see any. They are not light enough to have two copies of slate which would eliminate any black specks . My BRB with two copies of slate are much paler. I will have to post a pic of one.
My guess is something else is going on here. Please take a look and see if you can find any black specks in the blue.

Now the blue colored sire is very strange as well. He appears to be black winged bronzed based. He does sort of look like my Oregon slates but those are bronze based not bwb.
Are his wings a very pale slate color or are they pure white?
And I also don't see any black specks in that tom either. Definitely not a blue palm either.

You are saying you didn't have any slate colored birds to start with?
My guess is you may have stumbled across or had a mutation to the recessive slate gene, thought to be gone in the U.S.

PLEASE tell me you are in the U.S.A. if so I want to get some eggs from these.

Awaiting your reply

Kevin

Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys

Last edited:
I'm no expert, this is just my thoughts. The tom looks kinda like a blue slate turkey, and the others look like mutts, maybe blue slate/bourbon red? Just my thoughts. They are good looking birds :)

My understanding is that a slate doesn't have clear white on the tail. The dad came out of two "bourbon reds" as did the mother of the young tom. they may in fact be hatch mates.

Last edited:
Hum...who knows. Like i said, i'm no expert, so i have no more ideas
idunno.gif
Hope someone comes who knows!

lol same here lol that is why i am asking. I can't seem to find any that fit. do I have a new unnamed color/pattern? I doubt but... it would be nice to name it, if it doen't have a name. Hubby likes Old Glory, since they are red white and blue.

my friend is the breeder of the parents and their parents and theirs for 3 gens. the raised and sold them for thanksgiving. bourbon reds all back there.

If I had to say, I'd say its not a purebred but a cross between a blue slate and a bourbon red....... I want one.

Back
Top Bottom