Can you please tell me what I have.

If I had to say, I'd say its not a purebred but a cross between a blue slate and a bourbon red....... I want one.
ikr... they are really good looking
big_smile.png
i would totally get one.

I know a Turkey lol.
His mom is the same color as he is blue/reddish with tiny strips and his dad is blue and white. all four grandparents were
bourbon red color/pattern

The sire below

This one has the tail colors of a Blue Palm but not enough white on the body to be a Blue Palm.

The mother looks a lot like a Lilac hen.

You may want to contact Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys for his opinion as to what you have.

http://www.porterturkeys.com

yes, I thought that too but If you look closely at the rusty slate, they don't have a cream/white tips and the slated sweet grass doesn't have the striping in the feathers. that is why I came here. I am stumped

Last edited:
yes, I thought that too but If you look closely at the rusty slate, they don't have a cream/white tips and the slated sweet grass doesn't have the striping in the feathers. that is why I came here. I am stumped

My best advice to you is to contact Kevin Porter at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys. There is a contact button there which will allow you to email him.

http://www.porterturkeys.com/contactus.htm

That page will also allow you to subscribe to the rare heritage turkey yahoo group.

Yes, I am in SC. A Friend of mine is the breeder of both the sire and dam. she says they came out of Bourbon Red (type).
the younger tom does have a few (looks to be) black tips and one feather. the old tom wings are are both light slate with longer white flight feathers. no black spots can be seen easily but will have to catch to take a closer look.

new pics.

dad mom and son

old tom wing

old tom

young tom feathers

young tom

Last edited:
Yes, I am in SC. A Friend of mine is the breeder of both the sire and dam. she says they came out of Bourbon Red (type).
the younger tom does have a few (looks to be) black tips and one feather. the old tom wings are are both light slate with longer white flight feathers. no black spots can be seen easily but will have to catch to take a closer look.

I could now see the black edging on the one young tom, that means it isn't recessive slate afterall. darn

Genetically it is not possible for these to have originally came out of a bourbon red breeding as, Red to red can only make red, (with the exception of white gene carrier reds which would make some whites)
There must be something else that bred your friends bourbon red to get these.
What else does your friend raise besides bourbon reds? There's got to be something else there that carries the slate gene.

Back
Top Bottom